X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KickMeKeith
    • Feb 2003

Is there a 503 bug?

Hi,

Am having a serious problem with DivX 5.03. ANY (and I mean ANY) program I could use to encode using the 5.03 DivX codec, throws me an error. The error reads ProgName cannot read or access the log that is written by the codec I guess automatically.

Every program has that problem, I hit OK and the program shuts down... When I re-installed the 5.02 codec everything is fine. That fatal - non encoding error vanishes. I have read that 5.03 is buggy, but it could also be gossip or an isolated incident.

If the earlier versions didn't work than I'd know there was conflict and mayhem behind the scenes. But it's not the case. Please inform mr why?

Thanks
    Keith
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

using 5.0.3 with virtualdub works fine, same for DVX

no idea what you tried and how

Comment

• KickMeKeith
      • Feb 2003

The error described above in my machine is universal. Though I have'nt as yet used 'VirtualDub' (I will though.) this is happening. What I'm trying to figure is why if it's not a bug.

This "error reading log file" error is caused by something and whatever it is is really pissing me off. What can cause this error is probably more important, and like I said to many different apps are all going down to the same thing. Even Videomi and EasyDivx just to name 2.

Doing a backwards install to 5.02 and it's like it never happened. I am just much to busy to load up 5.03 again after trying way to many different programs to find the same problem. Changing codec versions means back to settings again for the 6th time. It's not like loading and using VirtualDub or any other program.

Anyway, thanks. Am gona load up VirtualDub and see what is what. This is an area where I don't know what I need. Originally all I wanted was to make a copy of a dvd. Same size on screen, etc.. Turns out to be the last thing I can get.

Keith

Comment

• khp
        The Other
        • Nov 2001

Normally one would expect the 'Error reading log file' error to pop up if you are using multipass encoding without doing the first pass. Or if you use an app that automatically tries to configure the codec, but doesn't support divx5.03.

Are you able to do 1-pass encoding ?
        Can you do the first pass in multi pass encoding ?
        Are you using an app that lets you access the codec configuration directly ?
        Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
        http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• The Maynard
          • Jan 2003

It sounds as if you are the log is trying to write to an area that it can't write to...like a cd drive. On the first tab of the Divx options check to see if the log option is checked and if so make sure it's point to your hard drive and not a cd drive. It does this from time to time and I don't know why. But that sounds like the problem you're having and this will fix it right up.

Comment

• KickMeKeith
            • Feb 2003

KHP and Maynard, Didn't see the posts Thankyou. In answer to both.

1. All apps I use allow access to the codecs parameters/adjustments.

2. When 5.03 was installed I was using 1-pass. The error occurs after all settings are done and the apps starts to convert. They are at that moment accessing the codec, this is where the problem is. So no matter what my settings in the codec, the apps fail when apparently trying to get the config from the codec.

3. Any/all the same apps work perfect (to their potential) with the DivX 5.02 codec and all other codecs.

4. This why it's really confusing. As for the log option checked, it was and pointing to c:\filename, it's default as I never used it.
            -- When I load up 5.03 again I can get into that a little. But there were 2 other options around the log file checkbox. None of those were checked as one produces for me a video file with no sound and the other I don't remember.

Thanx...
            Last edited by KickMeKeith; 26 Feb 2003, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Working...