Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • i_t_man
    • Feb 2003

raise the resolution or bitrate?

If your final file comes out shorter than anticipated (600Mb vs the desired 695), is it better to raise the resolution (it's at 352x192 now) or raise the bitrate?
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

i'd NEVER use a resolution that low

use a two pass routine with divx5.0.2 or xvid and ogg vorbis for example for audio and you should be able to create stunning avis with a width resolution ~576-640

Comment

• i_t_man
      • Feb 2003

Originally posted by UncasMS

use a two pass routine with divx5.0.2 or xvid and ogg vorbis for example for audio and you should be able to create stunning avis with a width resolution ~576-640
      awesome thanks!, actually this is the first avi that I've been able to create with GK after fighting with it for 3 days, so I'm pretty jazzed, thanks for the feedback.

Comment

• i_t_man
        • Feb 2003

use a two pass routine with divx5.0.2 or xvid and ogg vorbis for example for audio
        Does GK natively recognize this format once I convert it. I mean when I go to select the audio source on the audio tab, will it be recognized or is there something else that needs to be done.

I'm using the tutorial that's "stickied" on the front page but I don't want to convert the avi, just the ac3.

Comment

• i_t_man
          • Feb 2003

Ok, I've converted the ac3 to ogg format, when I select it on the bitrate tab I have to select "all files" in explorer for it to be recongnized, I assume that's ok?

which options should I be setting on the audio tab?

I followed the tutorial that's on the first page of the forum but can I keep the avi format with ogg or do I have to convert them both?

again, any help is greatly appreciated and will be past along.

Comment

• UncasMS
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2001

in case you're talking about this guide of mine.
            Talk about the AVI file container, and the Divx/Xvid codecs that are most commonly found in AVI files

the answer is:

- let gk or any other tool create your avi

- follow the guide to 1st create an ogg audio (because ogg simply needs much less bitrate and thus is much smaller giving you more space for your video stream compared to mp3) out of your ac3 file(s)

- multiplex/mux ogg(s) + avi into the container by the name of OGM

so you can of course keep your avi and create ogg later and mux both

if, however, your avi was created and you left a bigger space for the audio stream - you must have chosen a bitrate setting in gordianknot before starting your conversion; i hope you left some space for the audio? - then of course you could also use mp3 as audioformat.

but for future conversion i'd go for ogg audio. you could use a bitrate of ~80kbps for ogg, which would sound really crappy when using mp3 but this bitrate is more than ok for OGG VORBIS audio.

of course you will have to set 80kbps for your audio stream(s) in gk in order to have gk leave the necessary space for the audio stream.
            Last edited by UncasMS; 1 Mar 2003, 09:02 PM.

Comment

• i_t_man
              • Feb 2003

I'll give it a shot today, thanks!

Comment

• i_t_man
                • Feb 2003

in case you're talking about this guide of mine.
                Talk about the AVI file container, and the Divx/Xvid codecs that are most commonly found in AVI files

I used this tutorial today with "band of Brothers" and it turned out simply gorgeous! Thanks for the help!

Comment

• UncasMS
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2001

i'm glad the guide was useful for you.

Comment

Working...