Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • perdomot
    • Sep 2002

How does Xvid compare to Divx?

I've been using the Divx codec for a while and wondered if there are any advantages to using Xvid over Divx. Thanks
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

1. Higher degree of configurability aka nandub.
    2. In constant development so expect regular updates and improvements.
    3. Free of adwares.
    4. Most importantly, I find that XviD performs exceptionally well at low bitrates (around 600 -1000 kbps) compared to DivX (which often results in blocks and noise).

Comment

• guilc
      • Mar 2003

The Image is more sharper with XviD than DivX, when you set the codec correctly up.
      But after two or three encoding, you can easyly find the good settings for XviD...

Comment

• UncasMS
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2001

I find that XviD performs exceptionally well at low bitrates (around 600 -1000 kbps) compared to DivX (which often results in blocks and noise)
        i have done quite some tests lately with bitrates ~ 700 and i found THE OPPOSITE to be the case. divx5 was better!

xvid may provide a sharper picture but this has in all test been less smooth and contained visible noise - ringing and visible artefacts at high contrast were always more annoying with xvid compared to divx5.

Comment

• Batman
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Jan 2002

At lower bitrates and resolutions XVID may have problems with mosquito noise but if you search the doom9.org forums you will find that there are many workaround. If you can get the hang of xvid encoding it is an extremely good codec.

Benefits of xvid:
          -constantly being worked on, open source, and free
          -sharper/crispier picture
          -tweak to your desire (a mixed blessing )

Comment

• UncasMS
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2001

when i talk about tests i'm not talking about 3 transcodings.
            i was doing one title up to 12-15 times.

and of course i do read doom9.

i tried many options/parameters, but none really pleased.

- doom9-forum posting like: *lower your resolution* are nonsense. i want quality at whatever resolution i choose.

- using filters (smoothers in particular) ALWAYS remove information from the video

- using bilinear resizer is no option either

- mpeg quantizer is very sharp but worst when it comes to mosquito noise, but even h263 did result in more noise than divx5.

all in all i did not find better results using xvid!

Comment

• Batman
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Jan 2002

Everyone will have to do their owen tests, to answer this question for themselves.

Mosquito noise is a problem with XVID. By using the FFDSHOW playback filter you can eliminate a lot of ringing.

When you are using low bitrates wtih XVID filtering is useful. Overall, from what I have seen, XVID is a better codec than DIVX 5.02 pro.

This filter removes artifacts/ringing without "smoothing" (too much) like C3D.

If you want the best quality, take a look at the newer unstable builds they have some very interesting features.

Comment

• perdomot
                • Sep 2002

Thanks for the feedback. What I'm doing is converting vhs tapes to vcd using this procedure:

Capture with VDub using Huffyuv
                Filter with Avisynth and Divx 5.02 for new avi.
                Converting Divx avi to mpeg with TMPEG.
                Burning it with Nero.

I was thinking of capturing with the Xvid codec to shrink the initial file but am not sure. Can anyone advise on how to improve on the current procedure I'm using? Thanks.

Comment

• Batman
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Jan 2002

If you are trying to create a vcd or svcd your procedure is needlessly complicated.

Why would you want to convert the huffyuv file to divx/xvid? Instead, convert it directly to mpeg-1/mpeg-2.

Comment

• Enchanter
                    Old member
                    • Feb 2002

Originally posted by UncasMS
                    i have done quite some tests lately with bitrates ~ 700 and i found THE OPPOSITE to be the case. divx5 was better!

xvid may provide a sharper picture but this has in all test been less smooth and contained visible noise - ringing and visible artefacts at high contrast were always more annoying with xvid compared to divx5.
                    That would depend on your encoding method as well. I try to suit the resolution and matrix in use with the bitrate, and when done properly, I see no reason why the relatively fixed parameters of DivX 5 can possibly stand up against the vast configurability of XviD. The results show in the encodings with DivX 5 looking visibly crap (bloody obvious blocks and ringings as well) when compared to XviD-compressed videos at the same filesize. This applies to both anime and non-anime types of film.

I have no sample to show you to back my words though, but trust me when I say I have been doing trancodings with various movies using the XviD codec since December last year and there have since never been an instance I preferred DivX 5 over XviD.

Comment

• UncasMS
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2001

so far i havent come across any xvid sample that would have made me change my mind

Comment

• Enchanter
                        Old member
                        • Feb 2002

Originally posted by UncasMS
                        so far i havent come across any xvid sample that would have made me change my mind
                        Each to their own.

Comment

• UncasMS
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2001

that actually meant: i'm desperately waiting for the right sample/full length conversion

Comment

Working...