Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • miramax
    • Mar 2003

Battle of the codecs.

So..Which codec is the best codec?? in all aspects.

I am currently using XviD. but i dont know if im using a good version.

I, of some reason, dont like divx5. I have heard about freezing frames and stuff.

I just want to know which codec is the best codec. I want fair quality 512x384@900kbps.

Im also wondering what program you guys use when encoding avi video from mpeg2. I normally use flask. But flask doesnt recognize my mpeg2-files that are longer than 1h. I record video from the tv with a video-card that encodes the video into mpeg2.
  • SKD_Tech
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2003

Well I can talk about the codecs but not the encoding

I personally have seen more clearness in the newest Xvid codec that is why I don't encode using DivX 5 anymore. The only thing about that was I couldn't use GordianKnot anymore which I really like. If I was you I would stick with Xvid for quality

Comment

• miramax
      • Mar 2003

Which release of xvid are you using? url?

Comment

• UncasMS
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2001

there is no such thing as freezing frames in divx5.

only the *smooth playback* option in the filter settings should NOT be enabled.

xvid turned out sharper in my tests, but there was always more or less (depending on paramters used) visible mosquito noise which i dont like at all.

if you're looking for a superb tool that handles both divx5 as well as xvid, use DVX - it is much more advanced than gordianknot!

more in my sig

Comment

Working...