• Show
Clear All
  • sonic_emperor
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Mar 2003

XviD

Hey people,it's me again
    another question,who uses "XviD",why arent u using DivX,which program do you use?????
    cro-anthem-video
  • SKD_Tech
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2003

DVX

Comment

• Enchanter
      Old member
      • Feb 2002

Re: XviD

Originally posted by sonic_emperor
      another question,who uses "XviD",why arent u using DivX,which program do you use?????
      I do.

Because I like its results better than DivX.

Avisynth and Virtualdub.

Comment

• The Maynard
        • Jan 2003

I've been using XVid to convert the video of Dragon's Lair and it looks alot better than Divx. The only problem I have with XVid is that the codec does not deinterlace the video so I have to use a filter in VirtualDub to do this. So I use DVD2AVI to save it as an UNCOMPRESSED AVI. Once it's an AVI I can use VirtualDub to convert it to XVid and apply the deinterlacing filter. When I do it this way and compare it to the same clip done in Divx it looks SO MUCH BETTER! It actually looks perfect. Divx has a slight greenish tint to it and has more compression blocks.
        The only problem I have is that I would love to do this with full length movies but uncompressed video is REALLY large in size. Almost 1GB for 1 minute! How can I get VirtualDub to do the frameserving so I can access the VOB files directly and apply the filters I need? I installed the handler but FRAMESERVING is still greyed out. What do I do?

Comment

• UncasMS
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2001

Divx has a slight greenish tint to it and has more compression blocks.
          sorry, but i cannot agree.

some folks are very well able to create perfect divx files.

just because yours dont look good doesnt mean divx is to blame

Comment

• The Maynard
            • Jan 2003

I blame everything. Actually I never even noticed this tint until I compared it to the XVid. The Divx copy still looks very good, don't get me wrong. But on the Dragon's Lair animation Xvid really looks better, for me at least.

Comment

• The Maynard
              • Jan 2003

Is there any way for VirtualDub to read VOBs?

Comment

• UncasMS
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2001

dont get me wrong, the maynard

enchanter has more than once said that animes looked better with xvid.

i never converted animes, but on full length testruns as well as single vob transcodings i didnt see improvements over divx5 using numerous xvid releases and an aweful lot of different settings.

i replied because the above statements sound like xvid will in any case look way better than divx5.

this is something i cannot confirm.

Comment

• UncasMS
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2001

Is there any way for VirtualDub to read VOBs?

what exactly do you mean/intend?

vd_MOD might be what you're looking for

Comment

• The Maynard
                    • Jan 2003

No problem, I wasn't taking your post the wrong way. What I want to do is try my hand at encoding a movie into XVid. The problem is that most of the movies are interlaced and I can't get the XVid codec to deinterlace it for me. VD has a deinterlacing filter that works very well. The only problem is that, in order to get an unaltered and perfect looking avi I have to save it as an uncompressed file which is way to large. Once this is done then I can open it in VD and apply the filters and encode it to XVid. This way it doesn't get compressed twice.
                    Is there a way to get VD to access the VOB files and do the conversion like DVD2AVI does? This would be ideal because DVD2AVI does not have any of these filters that I need so VD would be perfect for this.

Comment

• UncasMS
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2001

well, yes of course

the way most of use use vd for transcoding is this:

-create a project file with dvd2avi

-load this d2f project file into vd or maybe even simpler a tool like gordianknot or DVX.

- in dvx for example make all your settings: bitrate, resizer and of course filters (be it noise or de-interlacers) and then have this tool create your avi (by running vd).

in case you want to read a more detailed guide on either gordianknot or dvx, click on any of my signature pics.

Comment

• The Maynard
                        • Jan 2003

I tried making a project file with DVD2AVI before but I can't get VD to open it. Frameserving is greyed out, even after installing the handler. I'll try DVX.

Comment

• The Maynard
                          • Jan 2003

OK. I tried DVDx and I hate that thing! I found VDubMod and that works perfectly. Thanks for the heads up. This does exactly what I wanted to do without having to save an uncomressed video file and take up space.

Comment

Working...