Which is better, a DivX 5 encode or a MPEG 2?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Axalon
    • Jun 2003

Which is better, a DivX 5 encode or a MPEG 2?

Recently I have been interested in backing up movies last time I did so was when divx 4 was out now I see that there are many more options suck as xvid and divx 5

I have also noticed that SVCD quality is up there. Now the type of backup I am looking for is a simple file, I don't care about CDs I just want a 1-2 GB file with the movie and some good audio. Which is where I am torn on the decision of what I want to do, should I go with a downsampled MPEG 2 or go with DivX 5

I played around with XviD but the options in divx 5 seem to be a lot nicer and the result looks better too, I think. I just wanted to know what would be better, trying to downsample mpeg 2 which seems like it would be the same as making an svcd aside from splitting and burning. But MPEG 2's take about 6 steps while I can easily encode in DivX in essentially one step.

Any ideas?
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

an mpeg4 format like divx5 or xvid are better quality on lower space.

using mpeg4 (no matter if it is gonna be divx or xvid) you might be able to use a couple of language streams in your movie; you will be able to add multiple subtitle streams and of course you might want to add chapter information with the help of which you can easily navigate inside that movie.

all this can be achieved when using a container format like ogm or matroska, which are far superiour to the avi container.

using divx5 or xvid you might be able to put many titles on ONE cd whereas using mpeg2/svcd you will need 2 cds for the same title.

svcd might, however, be a better choice when you dont want to be dependant on a pc playing the files/being connected to your tv/vcr.

if you'd ask me what format will be better in terms of using less space or being more flexible may vote goes to mpeg4/divx/xvid.

btw. creating mpeg2/svcd can be easier than creating hq-mpeg4. all you need is DVD2SVCD (freeware from this site www.dvd2svcd.org).

you'll have to set it up once and afterwards it is a childsplay creating superb svcds!

for creating mpeg4 i'd suggest DVX or gordianknot or dvd2ogm.

tutorials on dvx or gordianknot can be found when you click on my anigifs.
    a guide on dvd2ogm can be found in this forum as well.

Comment

Working...