• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zulu_One
    • Jul 2003

divx encoding w/ xmpeg 5 rc3

desparate ...

any help appreciated,
    ive been encoding my dvd's for a while and never come across this problem ...

i use smartripper to extract the *vobs & ifo to harddrive, then try to encode a divx avi

i recently registered divx 5.05 and had no problems initially, but recently ive been using xmpeg to encode (2+ passes) and all i end up with is a 16/32 meg file which cant be read with anything .. ive set the res, bitrate, cropping etc and the encoder usually crashes or finishes with a useless file, nowhere near the 700 mb file i intend ... just an unreadable 16/32 meg file in the output dir ...

any help would be greatly appreciated ...

Dave
  • Satan Claus
    • Apr 2003

you know, man, i´m starting to see that pretty much every problem related with encoding has something to do with latest version of divx (5.0.5) when there were no problems with 5.0.2...
    try going back to that version...

Comment

• Enchanter
      Old member
      • Feb 2002

Zulu_One,

Perhaps those 16-32MB files are results from the first pass (which outputs invalid AVI files)? If so, you need to make sure that you follow up with the second pass (which will output the final and valid AVI file, based on results from the first pass). Cheers!

Comment

• UncasMS
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2001

amazingly enough i have never had any problem with 5.05 using DVX.

so based on experience dont simply blame it on 5.05.

Comment

• Zulu_One
          • Jul 2003

thanks for the response, however ive tried even just a single pass with different encoders, and they (flaskmpeg/dvx) just crash.

I then reinstalled xmpeg5 final, and also divx 5.05, then 5.02 and the same prob.
          So Ive tried the non-pro version and all i seem to end up with is a .avi file bout 50mb audio only ...

(also with dvx i keep getting errors about the besweet version even though ive installed (separatly) b19,b18 and the stable version) this isnt as urgent as the video encoding tho ...

Really buggered ..

any help appreciated

Dave

Comment

• lord_shar
            • Aug 2003

I experienced similar problems above. I fixed it by removing all of XMPEG and all DivX codecs, then rebooted. Afterwards, I reinstalled the DivX codec 5.05 first, followed by XMPEG-Final. Make sure to clear all previous encoding profiles after re-installing XMPEG.

Comment

• Zulu_One
              • Jul 2003

cheers mate, ill give it a shot when i get home ...
              the only thing is tho is that this has been happening for a few weeks now and i reinstalled xp and it didnt fix it -- but ill give those instructions a go and see how we go

cheers

Dave

Comment

• lord_shar
                • Aug 2003

Oops, I ran into the problem again this morning with the encoding process hanging at the 95% mark. The problem does not occur with single VOB files, but it does happen when I attempt to process multiple VOB's. I'm currently using XMPEG-v5.0-final and DivX codec v5.05.

In my particular case, I'm trying to encode the first half of a movie followed by the end-credits (I'm processing VOB's 1, 2, and 5 only). VOB's 1 + 2 + 5 are covered by the first pass, but the second pass stalls at VOB-5 indefinitely.

I'm playing with a few other settings, including the iDCT selection, just to see if it will help. I won't have the results for another 7 hrs (still at work here).

Comment

• lord_shar
                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by UncasMS
                  amazingly enough i have never had any problem with 5.05 using DVX.

so based on experience dont simply blame it on 5.05.
                  What kind of system are you using? What encoding parameters and XMPEG options/settings? Have you tried rendering VOB's out-of-sequence with any success?

I'm on an XP-system running XMPEG-v50-Final and DivX codec 5.05. I can encode single VOB's, but multiple VOB's seem to throw my final encoding passes into an endless loop.

Any/All help appreciated.

Comment

Working...