Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shiroamakusa
    • Jan 2002

Audio Synch...Help!!

I am encoding an anime DVD, Ceres: The Celestial Legend Vol. 6. I encoded vol. 5 with no problems at 23.9x framerate, no audio probs, nothing. But on this new title I cannot get the audio to synch up. It starts up fine, but then about 25 minutes into the movie (after the first episode) the video gets ahead of the audio. I have tried (using FlasK .60) encoding together in MP3, encoding together in PCM audio and converting using virtual dub, I lowered the framerate from the detected 29.97 to 23.9x to try to duplicate my other success...no go. The audio gets out of synch at the same general part.

I am using FlasK because of the subtitles option. They appear fine and in the right place. I am trying to make a simple one-file avi with subtitles (one dvd-one cd) to send to my wife who's deployed (military). If anyone can help me, I appreciate it. Right now I am encoding the video and audio separate, will be converting the AC3 to wav then converting the wav to mp3 with vdub and combining. i hope this will work.
  • Kaiser-Soze
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Jan 2002

I have ripped a lot of DVD's using the settings below and I never had a problem. Try them

Use Virtual Dub
    Use MP3 Audio Format 128 Kb or more
    Use Preload every ------> 500ms
    Use Interleave --------> 500ms
    DO NOT CHANGE THE FRAME RATE
    That causes the problem 99%
    When u get Audio/Video Synch problems
    try to change the interleaving and preloading
    Use the above settings and if they don't work and the Audio is skippy lower the interleaving value if the Video is raise it
    Speak until the tape runs out. Playback the tape until the story is finished...

Comment

• _dk
      • Feb 2002

same problem here on two movies

sound is synced fine until approx: 27 minutes
      then it suddenly goes out of sync.

the divx movie is made with flaskmpeg 0.60

any idears of what goes wrong ?
      Last edited by _dk; 3 Feb 2002, 12:53 AM.

Comment

• UncasMS
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2001

flask + audio encoding => crap

do NOT use flask (at all) or at least not for the audio part!!

try what kaiser-soze suggested!

Comment

• _dk
          • Feb 2002

thanks for your answer

i made a divx movie with perfect sound using Xmpeg Encoder

(havent found out how to use virtualdup yet)

now i just have to figur out the 2 pass way of encoding
          without getting very large files ?

Comment

• UncasMS
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2001

the best tool should be nandub using divx3

due to its internal routine, you dont need a (blurry and resource-killing) codec like divx4 but instead you can use good ole divx3.

nandub will reach your desired final filesize MOST precisely (divx4 wont) and due to its two pass routine will give you best possible quality.

in case you read german, take a look at the nandub part of my guide (havent translated that part, because i dont deal with ntsc an ivtc and thus an english version would be incomplete).

Comment

• cgi2
              • Dec 2001

The audio sync problem likely is occurring at a vob file boundary. Verify this. If this is so, process each vob file seperately; then clip the last end of each resulting file (except the last one); clip about 1 second off using virtualdub, then join the pieces.

I've experienced this problem many times and it's due to differing lengths of audio and video in the source. flask doesnt automatically fill in the gaps in the resulting audio, it appears.

Comment

• UncasMS
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2001

if the vobs were to blame, then why does this not occur while using nandub or gordian knot?

Comment

• cgi2
                  • Dec 2001

Originally posted by UncasMS
                  if the vobs were to blame, then why does this not occur while using nandub or gordian knot?
                  Perhaps these other tools fill in gaps in the audio stream. I dont know enough to tell if this is a reasonable explanation....

Comment

• Quicksix
                    • Jan 2002

If you've installed the Radium hacked Fraunhofer CODEC and if you are using XMPEG and making sure to check 'compensate for Fraunhofer bugs' then it shouldn't give you any problem. The fact that you are experiencing difficulty seems to lend support to the idea that it has something to do with the Vobs. I do agree with Uncas though, XMPEG/Flask is not really the best tool to use for processing audio....tends to create really poor surround compatible downmixes. I am assuming that this is an Anime and that it is encoded at 29.97fps interlaced. I have heard different people offer examples of how certain IVTC implementations can be very buggy and thus cause problems with keeping synch. Perhaps this is occuring at the vob boundaries? Any thoughts on this?

Quicksix

Comment

Working...