X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • degs
    • Sep 2003

Change from OGM container to AVI container

Hi Guys,

I have a couple of movies that are in the OGM container that I would like to change to AVI container. I have searched this forum and found no threads as yet that give advise as how to do this.
    I have tried VirtualDub but it will not open the OGM file.

Would be grateful for any advice.

Degs

PS. I know from these forums that OGM seems superior to AVI but I need AVI for my KISS DP-500. The associated Kiss PC-link software only allows AVI extensions.
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

I have searched this forum and found no threads as yet that give advise as how to do this.
    because nobody would want to change from the better container back to the poor one

and virtualdub wont load ogm, virtualdubMOD, however, does.

Comment

• secotelli
      Gold Member
      Gold Member
      • Dec 2002

Originally posted by UncasMS
      because nobody would want to change from the better container back to the poor one
      exactly..

Comment

• StarRide
        • Aug 2003

Hehehe i agree ogm container is better than avi container, but i Matroska container is even better than ogm

well, to get ur ogm to avi, get vdubMOD, open the ogm file, goto video menu and choose direct stream copy

then goto streams menu, streams list, then choose ONE of the audio tracks, if the track is ogg format, then right click and choose full processing and choose compression as mpeg3, then click save wav (i dunno y vdubmod doesn't decode and re-encode the audio when u save avi, even tho i have disabled all the streams except for the audio track with full processing compression mpeg3)

now, disable all the streams and add the audio file u saved, and now u can just save avi.

Notes:
        if u r planning for the avi to be played on that player, the original video stream needs to be divx, or u will have to re-encode.

if u want the subtitles, then u need to DEMUX the text file stream, and apply it using a filter (textsub), but it means u'll have to re-encode the video as well.

Comment

• degs
          • Sep 2003

Thats great, thanks for the help.
          The video is encoded with xvid so it should be OK on my Kiss dvd player.

Comment

• echooff
            • May 2003

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you demux the audio without re-encoding?

Comment

• StarRide
              • Aug 2003

If u demux the audio, u will get an ogg audio file. Now u tell me if that KISS player supports ogg format as audio in the avi file.
              Besides, ogg in avi is not a good idea, as u will get desync with audio/video easily.

Comment

• ChristianHJW
                matroska project member
                • May 2003

Originally posted by StarRide If u demux the audio, u will get an ogg audio file. Now u tell me if that KISS player supports ogg format as audio in the avi file.
                Nope, it cant. We are in a constant dialogue with a couple of DivX player manufacturers, all using the SIGMA EM 8500 and 8550 decoder chips, like KiSS is doing currently. Playing Vorbis on these units will take the complete processing power already, no way to have it decode MPEG4 video at the same time.

Even next units, that will be based on the EM 86xx decoders, maybe dont have enough power to play a 5.1 AAC or 5.1 Vorbis file together with a full scale, anamorphic 720 x 432 MPEG4 video, so some of the companies we are talking to are thinking about adding fast DSPs for certain jobs to their next generation units ....

BTW : this poll here is pretty informative for some of you i guess : http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63599

Besides, ogg in avi is not a good idea, as u will get desync with audio/video easily.
                ... plus, seeking is impossible, so i cant agree more here ....
                Support the future of audio and video encoding, matroska as open standard container format and Gstreamer as open source, x-platform multimedia platform - Contact us on Corecodec, the concentric circles of audio and video, or on IRC.CORECODEC.COM #matroska ; for best viewing matroska file use The Core Media Player ( TCMP )

Comment

Working...