Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Angie
    • Jan 2002

Sound Volume in Xmpeg

Is there any way to up the sound volume when encoding in Xmpeg using the Radium MP3 codec? I have to max everything on the computer just to hear the sound at a decent level during playback.

I've looked at Xmpeg's options and the codec options, but I can't find any sound level settings.
  • abdul
    • Jan 2002

Why do you wait untill you have already encoded everything

Next time adjust the sound before converting; i know this is not an answer to your problem (because i don't know if you can do that once you have a xmpeg) but more an advise for the future

Comment

• Angie
      • Jan 2002

Do you mean adjusting the audio properties will have an effect on the volume? Or do I need a different product than Xmpeg if I want to be able to adjust volume?

Comment

• abdul
        • Jan 2002

What i mean to say is that you can easily adjust the sound of an avi-file with Virtual Dub (and that i don't know if it can be done with a xmpeg-file)

There are basicly two ways to adjust the volume of an avi:

a very easy one
        and one a little bit more difficult, but when you've got the hang of it it isn't that complicated at all
        A tutorial for the second one you can find at Nicky pages's (fixing very quiet sound)

Comment

• UncasMS
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2001

xmpeg is a flask derivate and thus the outputfile should be avi.

load you avi into virtualdub
          save wav (i.e. the sound stream)
          process this (mp3) file in any good audio editor like wavelab or cooledit or whatever you like
          normalizing and increasing the level is what i ALWAYS do with my mp3 streams

for more on that take a look at my guide.

Comment

• Angie
            • Jan 2002

Thanks guys. I tried a variation on Nicky's. Since I still had the original VOB files, I just ripped the audio off to a WAV sith Xmpeg to avoid recompressing the audio. I normalized it with DeDynamic, saving as PCM with the same format 48KHz, 16-bit. I then pulled the video into VirtualDub and saved with the new audio overlaid, compressed into a 48KHz 128Kbps MP3.

Unfortunately, now my sound is out of synch by about 1 second after a 1.5 hour movie, and I'd prefer to keep lower sound than have to resynch it.

Could it be because I just ripped the audio from the VOB files? How about I reencode the movie with PCM sound, save that sound, normalize it, and re-save?

Comment

• horseshoe7
              • Jan 2002

In reply to the first msg of this thread-

You were asking where there are sound settings in XMpeg? When you right click on the blue part of the application's front panel GUI, you can run the audio player. This is where you set the sound levels. Check both boxes called 'dynamic range compression' and 'normalization'. The compression slider should be 1/4 or 1/5 of the way from the right side. Normalization takes the peak sound in the input file (the VOBs) and multiplies the whole audio track by a number that will result in the whole file being at it's maximum level before the audio track clips (=no good)

Perhaps you missed that, or i apologize for any condescending tone.....

Comment

• Angie
                • Jan 2002

Originally posted by horseshoe7
                Perhaps you missed that, or i apologize for any condescending tone.....
                No, I totally missed that. Thank you, it's a lot easier than processing the audio separately.

Comment

Working...