• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • acqtrekker
    • May 2002

Irritating Dropped Frame Issues

Hello,

Okay, here's where I am:

I am making DVD-Rs with five 44 minute Stargate SG-1 episodes per disc. After doing the math I came up with the bitrate of 2257 kbps to cram all I could into each episode while sticking to five movies per disc. I have succeeded, to a point. At this juncture I have 5 completed discs. I didn't catch the problem until after creating the last two DVD-Rs.

The first three discs play smooth and clear. Very happy with them. Now on my fourth and fifth discs I have experienced a new problem. The video playback appears to have dropped frames, but almost seems to pause for split seconds in random spots. The audio remains smooth and synchronized.

I have played them in my Panasonic stand-alone DVD player, my laptop and my desktop machine. I experience the same problem across all platforms.

SOFTWARE & METHODS:

The episodes are Divx AC3 files. Not sure what Divx version. They play back smooth. I am encoding them to DVD MPEG-2 format using TMPGEncoder 2.58.44.152 Plus @ 2257 kbps. I want to retain the 16:9 aspect ratio and the DVD authoring progs I use don't support it.

After encoding I checked the videos for smoothness. They are as smooth as the original Divx files.

NEXT I import the MPEGs into Ulead DVD Workshop. So far it's the only DVD authoring prog that I can find that can recognize the low bitrate MPEGs. Dazzle DVD Complete doesn't recognize them.

I create a the VIDEO_TS folder and VOB files.

NOW HERE IS WHERE THE IRRITATION BEGINS: The videos played back from the VOBs created in DVD Workshop are "choppy" (like I described earlier). What's even more odd is that trying to recreate the VOBs produces the same choppiness IN THE SAME EXACT SPOTS!!!

I have used 2 different computers. A 850Mhz PIII and a P4 2Ghz Mobile. Both machines produce the EXACT same results. BTW, there are no uneccessary tasks using system resources on either machine. I tried DVD MovieFactory and got the same results (I assume the encoding engine in Workshop and MovieFactory are the same).

So is this a problem with the initial Divx files? The MPEGs? Could it be some hidden flaw in the MPEG that is being caught cut out by DVD Workshop in order to be compatible on a DVD player?

I NEED THE GURUS ON THIS PRONTO!

Thanks everyone,
    Acqtrekker
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

since your source material seems to be fine, why dont you try authoring the dvd with a different programme?

try ifoedit (freeware) or dvd-lab for a change

Comment

• acqtrekker
      • May 2002

I would use IFOEdit, but I have not had any luck with it. I can open a VOB in it and create an IFO and the other appropriate files, but I cannot open my MPEGs and create VOBs within it. Although freeware (thanks to those who put their time and knowledge into free progs), it is not very easy to understand.

I will try to get DVD Lab and see how that turns out.

Last night I encoded one of my "choppy" episodes @ only 2000 kbps. Still got the same results. Why the first three discs (fifteen episodes) didn't have a single problem, I do not know... yet.

Thanks for the reply!

Comment

• acqtrekker
        • May 2002

I have found a fix (although I have no idea what it is that actually fixed the problem).

I created, compiled and burned with DVD Lab. AWESOME PROGRAM!!!

Somewhere along the way DVD Lab has done a better job @ creating my VOBs than DVD Workshop or DVD MovieFactory. In fact, I would rate DVD Lab as a far superior program, but with mediocre burning capabilities. BUT I WILL NOT COMPLAIN! The results are impressive.

And no, I do not work for MediaChance (developers of DVD Lab).

Thanks for your help UncasMS.

Comment

Working...