X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kirthiboy
    • Oct 2003

My doubts on converting DVD to DIVX

First attempt:
    I tried to convert DVD vob to Divx using Super DVD Ripper and that too DVD was in hard disk.
    Well, it did work but the quality was way poor. So, later I found DVDDecoder 0.3. I ripped the DVD from my hard disk and deleted the backup in hard disk. Kept only the ripped one else the space taken would be 8 GB. Then, I used Flask Mpeg set proper settings, video compression to Divx and audio to 128 kbps mp3. And left it encoding and found out in morning that the size was 4 gb. The sound never changed to mp3. I did again but this time it ended without sound. So, I kept on trying but no use. Can u tell me what is wrong?

I did fix the problem but in an unlikely way. I extracted the AC3 sound from the ripped DVD by using Flask mpeg into a wav file. It was around 2 gb. Then I opened in Virtual Dub and added wav there and tried to compress only audio at 128 kbps mp3. After the job was done, I played the video and audio turned out to be totally bad. I converted the audio in flask Mpeg itself to 44100 KHZ as it was 48000 KHZ but still same problem. I opened the audio in Sound Forge 5.0 and converted the wav to 44100 KHz. then I tried in Virtual Dub selected wav file and I choose 128 kbps mp3 and it works fine. But still can u tell me what was the problem?

Also, I learned one more thing. To get high quality Divx, u need to increase the Encoding bitrate. Suppose I wanted to convert a DVD into a high quality Divx with mp3 sound that could fit i two cds. I am then supposed to keep the encoding bitrate to 1460 kbps, keep size around 576x320. This is because both encoding bitrate and size of the movie increase the file size of the movie. We have to compromise for one. Correct me if I am wrong?
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

Correct me if I am wrong?
    using a two pass routine with virtualdub(mod) as encoder and using divx or xvid with b frames even 800-1000 might look good

my number one tool for converting dvd to divx is DVX

click my gif for a guide

Comment

• kirthiboy
      • Oct 2003

How do u extract the additional things in DVD to DIVX? I want the making of movies and extra scenes to be converted too. I also suppose want to give the viewer option of subtitle. I mean he can switch on or off the subtitle. Only one subtitle language though. How is this possible?

Comment

• UncasMS
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2001

extras + making of should be separate vobs/chapters thus they should/could be handled separtely.

concerning subs: extract subs to SRT format and either use ogm as container instead of avi because ogm will easily store multiple subtitles

otherwise naming the srt just like your movie will lead to automatic playback with most players.

the ogm solution, however will be much better as you can integrate more than one subtitle stream and select while playback

Comment

Working...