X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kowderoi
    • Oct 2003

VirtaulDub / AVIsynth error: cannot read from file "null":%s

Evening all,

I've just installed AVIsynth in an attempt to get some video (miniDV captured using Premiere) into VirtualDub for editing and compression.

I've got the Nicky Pages' guide to opening "any file with AVISynth", I've checked out www.avisynth.org and I've gone through omahr's post on "tips on converting miniDV to DivX". All seem limpid, as simple as can be, brief, concise and more or less to the point.

But I still can't make it work!

I've made an .avs file (movie.avs) in Notepad, containing the text: AviSource("c:\clip1.avi"), where "clip1.avi" is the captured video at the root of my c:\ drive.
    I also tried the command DirectShowSource, but that's for mpeg video, apparently.
    When I open the file in VirtualDub, I get the error message quoted above in the subject line.

I get the impression that I'm missing something simple, a plugin perhaps.

Can anyone help me with this? It seems so simple, and I understand the way it should work, but I DON'T understand why it isn't working.

Can anyone tell me what a .VOB file is too?

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by kowderoi; 4 Nov 2003, 08:17 AM.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"Can anyone tell me what a .VOB file is too?"

A .VOB file is an "enhanced" .MPEG_2 file, for DVD authoring, which can include video, multiple audiostreams (different languages, different types), and multiple subtitles...

Comment

• UncasMS
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2001

did you try loading the file DIRECTLY into virtualdubMOD (mod is a special version!) without using avisynth?

Comment

• kowderoi
        • Oct 2003

Thanks for the info, setarip.

UncasMS,

No, I'm using VDub simple, and it won't import the .avi that Premiere captured (error message about dsvd codecs and windows media something or other).

Can you give me the lowdown on VDubMOD in a few lines, if you've got the time? There's so much software available, it's hard to know where to start. Believe me, if I can get around AVISynth (no hard feelings to the developers/users), it might simplify my life at this point.

The same question for all software in all development fields: when will someone come up with the "all-in-one" perfect tool?!?

The same answer: never, and it's probably better so.

kowderoi

Comment

• UncasMS
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2001

vdMOD:

in case vdMOD wont open your file, you should install a DV codec as well.

canopus for example

Comment

• kowderoi
            • Oct 2003

Ok, I had a few minutes to play around with this thing last night.

- got VirtualDubMod and installed it
            - tried to open my captured video directly with VDubMod: failure (same error message as in VDub)

I didn't have time to really go into it (fiddling with .avs files and such), so I'll keep trying when I get the time.

As to the DV codecs, GSpot says I've got three compatible codecs, and they render (in GSpot) just fine. I can also play the video in RealPlayer1 without any problems. Didn't try Windows Media Player 9, I just figured it would work...

I don't think it's a problem with codecs, because the file was captured and compressed using a DV codec on my computer just a few hours earlier in Premiere.

Do any of you actually use AVISynth to import captured video to VDub or VDubMod? Perhaps haven't installed Avisynth correctly... Any ideas?

Thanks for your input

kowderoi

Comment

• UncasMS
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2001

i'm sure it is a dv codec problem

convert your dv material to type 2 and try again

Turn your life’s best moments into stunning movies with Corel VideoStudio! Get creative with drag-and-drop stylish templates, artistic filters, titles, transitions, and the whole palette of advanced editing tools. Get your FREE trial.

Comment

• kowderoi
                • Oct 2003

UncasMS,

Thanks for your obstination. Last night I started to think you're right to insist it's a codec problem.

I downloaded the DVconverter and tried it, but that didn't work either. It's always good to have on hand, however, even if I don't understand the difference between avi type 1 and type 2.

Seeing as the problem was the (lack of a specific) codec, I scoured the Internet looking for this mysterious "dvsd" codec that VDubMod is demanding. I only came up with more questions! I'm not the only one with this problem, it would appear.

Here are a summary of my thoughts. Perhaps you'd be kind enough to tell me if I'm getting anywhere near to a solution.

Lots of people with this problem are capturing with Premiere from Sony miniDV. Some even think (me too) that a proprietary (or otherwise protected) version of the dvsd codec is being used by Premiere to compress the DV during capture. For some reason my various video players can use this (or another compatible) codec for playback, but VDub(Mod) can't access it for editng/compression.

The solution (maybe?): change the capture settings in Premiere (if possible) to use the plain old Windows (VFW?) "dvsd" codec, which, if I'm not mistaken and based on what I read last night, should already be on my system, instead of the troublesome "dvsd (Sony)".

Alternative: get the canopus DV codec you mentioned and specify that for compression during capture.

In any case, the problem appears to be the codec used during capture.

Does this make any sense to you?

Thanks again.

kowderoi

Comment

• UncasMS
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2001

Does this make any sense to you?
                  it does

check your pm

Comment

• kowderoi
                    • Oct 2003

SUCCESS!

Success! Now the real work can begin, and more problems to solve, no doubt...

Thread Summary

The problem:
                    Video captured from a Sony cam (miniDV) using Premiere 6.5 could not be loaded into VirtualDub(Mod) for compression, etc. A "dvsd" or Video For Windows (VFW) compatible codec was requested by VDub.

The solution:
                    Installation of the canopus DV codec did the trick! Seems that the Sony cam used it's own version of the "dvsd" codec and VDub couldn't read with it, although all my players could play the video.
                    No need to recapture or change the capture settings in Premiere, as I suspected earlier.

Thank you, uncasMS!

kowderoi
                    Last edited by kowderoi; 8 Nov 2003, 01:07 AM.

Comment

• UncasMS
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2001

i'm glad to hear that!

Comment

• Pertwee
                        • Nov 2003

Re: Your success with virtualdub and AviSynth

Originally posted by kowderoi
                        Success! Now the real work can begin, and more problems to solve, no doubt...

Thread Summary

The problem:
                        Video captured from a Sony cam (miniDV) using Premiere 6.5 could not be loaded into VirtualDub(Mod) for compression, etc. A "dvsd" or Video For Windows (VFW) compatible codec was requested by VDub.

The solution:
                        Installation of the canopus DV codec did the trick! Seems that the Sony cam used it's own version of the "dvsd" codec and VDub couldn't read with it, although all my players could play the video.
                        No need to recapture or change the capture settings in Premiere, as I suspected earlier.

Thank you, uncasMS!

kowderoi
                        Kowderoi

I read your correspondence with interest. I have too been having massive problems getting an AVI file imported from Premiere and a Sony DV Cam into VirtualDub. Can I just confirm that the solution you found was to download the Canopus file converter and the Canopus DV Codec, and use them both to get the files into VirtualDub??? So the file has to be converted first into a -CDV file and then opened with VDub???

Thank you in advance for your reply

Pertwee

Comment

• UncasMS
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2001

installing the canopus dv codec should be your first step

Comment

• Pertwee
                            • Nov 2003

Many thanks for your input so quickly.

I am basically trying to de-interlace files that have been captured via Premiere from my Sony VX2000 DVcam. This all started when I realised how pathetic the camera was at shooting in Progresive Scan mode at only 12.5 fps.

Anyhow I use the canopus file converter to convert the files to DV type I files and then use VirtualDub and AviSynth to split into fields and de-interlace. It is a CPU intensive and time consuming process but finally I get there.

Many thanks for your help - your corrspondence with Kowderoi was the saving grace. Unless you know of any quicker way of doing the job.....

Regards,

Pertwee

Comment

• kowderoi
                              • Oct 2003

Hi all,

Sorry I haven't been able to get back sooner. A bit busy elsewhere....

So here's what really happened. I installed the Tsunami Codec Package, choosing only the Canopus DV codec and a few tools that looked interesting. i was then able to open the video using VDubMod no problem.

HOWEVER, Premiere and all my playback software (RealOneplayer, Windows Media Player 9...) refused to open! Back to square one.

I uninstalled Tsunami, then reinstalled ONLY the Canopus DC codec. So far, so good. I haven' t verified which of the tools I installed was the culprit. But all this is was only just at the testing stage. I'm very new to this.

My own project is to create a series of half-hour SVCDs (so I don't need to deintelace, if I understand correctly) that I can send to my family overseas, and I haven't captured any of it yet for real! I've got my inventory and batch list all set, I just can't find the time. (if you have a solution for that one, please let me know!)

All this to say that I'll be back with more questions in the near future.

kowderoi

Comment

Working...