X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ives31
    • Jan 2002

which DIVx version to use?

Hi,
    I've been backing up my DVD's with smartripper and then using Flask .I've been using mpeg4 div x 3.11 alpha version codec .However,I know that there's a divx 4 and i was wondering if it was any better than the 3.11 version?Should I be using divx 4?

Any advice appreciated,
    Regards,
    Ives
  • Kaiser-Soze
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Jan 2002

Well, everyone has his opinion on this matter.
    Some say that with DivX4 u get more freezes e.t.c.
    I have been using DivX4.12 and in 60 ripped movies I never encountered any problems.
    B4 DivX4.12 I was using DivX 3.11 Alpha which is quite good I must say. Anyway it's your choice although I must say that I prefer VDub than Flask
    Speak until the tape runs out. Playback the tape until the story is finished...

Comment

• ives31
      • Jan 2002

Thanks for the info m8.
      I'll try the 4.12 and see how it goes.
      Waht are the benefits of using 4.12 over 3.11?
      Cheers
      ives

Comment

• techno
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Nov 2001

NAAA,

USE 3.11alpha low motion for DVD rips! Cause quality is ACE and one DVD rip fits on ONE CD without loss of quality. DIVX 4 u have to put dvd rips on 2 CD's

If the source is REALLY high quality then use fast motion 6000 bitrate cause it reduces the file size and also no blocks and no blurs.

Techno

Comment

• khp
          The Other
          • Nov 2001

Waht are the benefits of using 4.12 over 3.11?
          I think the major difference is that it's a lot easier to make a good looking rip with 4.12.

The divx3.11 fastmotion codec, by itself is completly useless for movies, it uses very high quantizers, which means that lomotion scenes will be encoded at a very low bitrate (this is why setting the bitrate at 6000 can result in a 1 CD rip), this means that any low gradient surfaces will look extremly blocky, durring low motion scenes. Almost all the movies I have ever seen contain scenes like this.

The divx3.11 lowmotion codec, uses lower quantizers which means that it does better durring low motion scenes, it also means that it will spend too much bitrate on high motion scenes, this means that the low motion codec not very good with movies that contain lots of movement.

The only way to make good looking rip with 3.11 is to use nandub sbc encoding. This uses a combination of the fast and lowmotion codec, to create an optimal rip. However this is not very easy, but can often result in better quality than divx4 with all other things beeing equal.
          An added advantage to nandub sbc encoding is that filesize is much more predictable than with fast or low motion alone.

With divx4, makeing a good rip is simple, and u can use any conversion tool that u want.
          Just calculate the bitrate u need, and leave all the other settings alone, do the 2-pass first pass and then the 2-pass second pass.
          With divx4 2-pass u also usually get very good filesize prediction (within 10-15 MB).
          Last edited by khp; 27 Jan 2002, 12:07 PM.
          Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
          http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• Kaiser-Soze
            Platinum Member
            Platinum Member
            • Jan 2002

I totally agree with khp

Comment

• UncasMS
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2001

Originally posted by khp

The only way to make good looking rip with 3.11 is to use nandub sbc encoding. This uses a combination of the fast and lowmotion codec, to create an optimal rip. However this is not very easy, but can often result in better quality than divx4 with all other things beeing equal.
              An added advantage to nandub sbc encoding is that filesize is much more predictable than with fast or low motion alone.
              nothing to add, accept that i DO NOT CONSIDER the usage of nandub thhaaatttt hard!
              everything that is new will take some time the first 5-10 times.
              on the other hand i have never ever seen that lovely quality and that precise final output filesize before.

moreover, apart from taking more resources divx4 blurs much more and thus pretends to achieve a better picture quality.

Comment

• khp
                The Other
                • Nov 2001

Happy to see that someone agrees with me.

I was afraid that I might have lit the fuse on a frame war with techno and maybe setarip who both seem to prefer the standard divx3.11.

moreover, apart from taking more resources divx4 blurs much more and thus pretends to achieve a better picture quality.
                Yes this is possibly the bane of divx4, nomatter how high a bitrate u use it will allways blur the picture.
                Allthough I doubt it'll make much difference on my TV-screen, stuff like that is always 10 times more notisable on a pc monitor.

Anyway I'am rapidly progressing towards nandub using gordianknot.

But currently I'am missing 2 things.

1. DVD2AVI project file creation by smart ripper.
                This would reduce setup time by a solid 4 minutes.
                It is there in 3.42, but when I use a command line to rip the movie, the video sequence is messed up.

2. Subtitles demux to seperate vob.
                This would reduce setup time by a another 4 minutes.
                I'am not sure if this is a problem with smartripper or vobsub, but if I extract the subs I want to a seperate vob file, and then use that in vobsub configuration, subtitles will usually fail about 1/3 through the movie.

Comment

• UncasMS
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2001

I was afraid that I might have lit the fuse on a frame war with techno and maybe setarip who both seem to prefer the standard divx3.11.

lets try to convince them (shouldnt be too hard when actually comparing the quality)

Yes this is possibly the bane of divx4, nomatter how high a bitrate u use it will allways blur the picture.
                  Allthough I doubt it'll make much difference on my TV-screen, stuff like that is always 10 times more notisable on a pc monitor.

i watched an divx4 movie recently on my 100hz tv and it looked horribly blurred!!

1. DVD2AVI project file creation by smart ripper.
                  This would reduce setup time by a solid 4 minutes.

SR 2.41 DOES create those project files, BUT this routine is buggy!
                  for the sake of an sync movie DO NOT USE IT!!!

for the time being TRON is working on SR 3.0 and thus this kind of 'small de-bugging' is not his main goal.

It is there in 3.42, but when I use a command line to rip the movie, the video sequence is messed up.

what do you mean with 3.42 ?????

Comment

• khp
                    The Other
                    • Nov 2001

what do you mean with 3.42 ?????
                    Sorry I meant SR 2.41

Comment

• khp
                      The Other
                      • Nov 2001

for the time being TRON is working on SR 3.0 and thus this kind of 'small de-bugging' is not his main goal.
                      Cool something new to look forward to, this is what makes life worth living

Comment

• techno
                        Digital Video Master
                        Digital Video Master
                        • Nov 2001

Well, it's completly up to you. Everyone has their own opinions.

I use fast motion when capturing and converting. I have seen a DVD rip in low motion and it is brillaint in both high and low motion scenes.

UncasMS did give me a move trailer in low motion and it is ACE quality. Everyone has their own opinions

Just wait for my guide.

Techno

Comment

• ives31
                          • Jan 2002

As a newbie to all this,can someone point me to an online guide on how to use nandub sbc encoding .

Much appreciated,
                          Ives

Comment

• Kaiser-Soze
                            Platinum Member
                            Platinum Member
                            • Jan 2002

Try this link

Comment

• ives31
                              • Jan 2002

thanks m8,thats a great help.
                              Cheers
                              Ives

Comment

Working...