Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrisc
    • Feb 2004

poor quality rips?

I mainly use DVDtoOGM to convert my dvd's to ogm format. I use XVID to compress it, but, I often get crappy rips out of it.
    Basically, I was wondering what type of settings some of you guys use when converting files, I usually go with a resolution of roughtly 608*320, then 2 passes for XVID (2 pass - 1st pass, 2 pass- 2nd pass int), using the Lanczos Resizefilter.
    I also set motion search precision to 6 (i heard that this makes the comptuer work harder when compressing, resulting in scenes getting an appropriate bitrate), and H.263 for quantization type.
    I set quantization to min of 2 and max of 17.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get a better quality movie when all is done?
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

with xvid 1.0 RC1 i use these settings:

motion search: 6 ultra high
    vhq: 4
    NO chroma
    a lower max iframe interval than suggested: 50
    min i frame quant: 2
    max i frame quant:31
    min p frame quant:2
    min p frame quant:31
    min b frame quant:1
    min b frame quant:31

Comment

• zx50
      Digital Video Enthusiast
      Digital Video Enthusiast
      • Aug 2003

Thing is chrisc, the higher you have the motion search the more accurately the codec can estimate motion, if you want to know what i think makes the computer's cpu strain the most then i think it's when you have wide search enabled (which i always prefer) i don't like mode one decision at all when it comes to the actual encoding, because there is'nt hardly any effort in it. Wide search repeats the search process about 5-6 times when it's encoding.

P.S btw what are you having the max overflow improvement and max degration set at, the default is 5% but i put it down to 1% which means the codec can have total freedom deciding what bit's need to go where, not commited to any scene so others won't receive enough. My encodes have turned out great.
      Computer Fanatic

Comment

Working...