Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • InterHmai
    • Nov 2001

Direct AVI Captures

Is there a certain way to encode divx avi stuff realtime to have really high quality? I am encoding stuff from TV and the only way i can get really good quality is to mpg capture it, then convert to divx. If i do a direct divx capture in virtualdub the quality is horrible.

Anyone know what i might be doing wrong?: ) Increasing the bitrate just makes the filesize huge i think.
  • techno
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Nov 2001

Hi, since I broke the world record on compressing videos alot and produce high quality audio + video:

Capture it to the PC using YU12 320*240 NO RECOMPRESSION and 30fps + PCM CD quality sound (hint, Hauppauge are the best capture cards in the world!)

After this encode it to MPEG 2 at the highest quality possible and then convert it to DIVX (using vidomi) with fast motion (DIVX 3.11alpha) 6000 bitrate and 75 crisp.

Otherwise capture it directly to DIVX fast motion 11 smooth 15 keyframe and 6000 bitrate (File size will be small and some frames will be dropped, don't worry about the frames!)

I hope everything goes well!

Thanks

Techno

Comment

• UncasMS
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2001

world-record ?

hehehe, let facts speak!

and btw hauppage are quite nice, but to title them *best cards for capturing* ATOMROTFL

you cannot handle 704 as res, can you?
      a decent vga with a proper tv-in is BETTER quality, though hauppage is more than fine to capture most stuff.

for best capture quality everyone would suggest huffyuv, no more no less!

i'd use mjpeg picvideo2 with max settings and afterwards compressing to mpeg4 and of course dont forget a decent de-interlacer within virtualdub!
      Last edited by UncasMS; 21 Nov 2001, 09:12 AM.

Comment

• techno
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Nov 2001

Yes, world record. There is a special group of people, who made this special group, by the chief president of DIVX and There were only 159 people from all round the world that participated in this. Coming at the top is VERY VERY hard work. Any one who had got the right settings etc... Will be given all credit and get priviliges to alot of DIVX stuff.

There is another world record thing going on right now and only 7 people out of 159 have particitpated (including me) and I am nearly finished this video to break, yet again another world record.

Comment

• UncasMS
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2001

but world record doesnt automatically equal high quality, does it?

Comment

• techno
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Nov 2001

Hi UncasMS. Thanks for your reply. Yes it does mean high quality That is the whole point on the world record breaking programme. We have to produce a video where file size is important and quality is really important. We must consider these 2 things when producing the video other wise we don't break the record and also if this doesn't happen then somone will get kicked out of the team.

Nice to know that you are not an argumentitive person, I really like that from you SIR

Comment

• UncasMS
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2001

sorry, but i'm not to easily convinced

you know seeing is believing

no offence meant

Comment

• techno
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Nov 2001

well, there you go. That is what DIVX is all about, compressing and producing high quality. I don't think I would be lying for this. Yes 12MB = 4mins the way I do it

Comment

• CrazyLegsMC
                  DivX GOD
                  • Nov 2001

Re:

Think we could have a taste of your *world record breaking* divx?
                  maybe cut a movie down to only 10MB and send it to a few people, or post it on a Free Internet HD so we can see, this for ourselves?

Comment

• techno
                    Digital Video Master
                    Digital Video Master
                    • Nov 2001

Sure, no problem. Just give me a Free internet HD and I will give a sample.

Comment

• khitch12
                      • Nov 2001

Just a few thoughts regarding the original question. I have done a lot of video ripping. I too have found it difficult to get good results doing it with virtual dub, there is though a program called avi_io that works hand in hand with Virtual dub and has given me excellent results. It breaks the gigabyte barrier by createing several files, like Virtual Dub does. The files that it makes load automatically into vd seamlessly. From there you can rip it directly to divx as you like. As an earlier post stated when you put it to divx you will need to deinterlace it and might want to sharpen it a little. Incidently I used to have a haupagge card, there were three things I didn't like about it. One, it would not go over 320x240 which looks ok ported out to a low res tv but sucks full screen on a computer. Two, it would'nt record over twenty minutes (gigabyte barrier) and three it is hard to spell the name of it without looking at the box.
                      They might have better cards by now but I'll bet they haven't changed their name.

btw, saying you ripped the fastest divx in the world comes across to most of us at a gut level like saying you had the fastest sex in the world.

Comment

• techno
                        Digital Video Master
                        Digital Video Master
                        • Nov 2001

khitch12, I think you got wrong what I was saying. using fast motion codec gave me a near DVD quality video with incredable filesize. Yes, you can capture more than 320*240 using hauppauge. I use AVI_IO sometimes and yes it is good. I always capture anything in YU12 320*240 NO RECOMPRESSION and CD quality PCM audio, then I make the quality better if necessory but I always convert it to MPEG2 then to DIVX 3.11alpha which gives me good results. You just need more time experimenting.

Thanks

Techno

Comment

Working...