Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rancid_elf
    • Sep 2005

dvd->dixv / xvid questions

Hi guys, Ok I have read many posts about what are the best for this or the best progs to use etc but to be honest none have really given me the best options for my task.

What I will do explain exactly what it is I wish to do and hope I get a response which will be the method I use for the task.

Ok on my server I have about 400 dvd movies stored as images or vob/inf files.
    The reason I have these is that I have copied my entire dvd collection onto my harddrive and wish to run these with meedio.

The size is getting big and I have decided to divx / xvid them rather than keep buying new hd's

I was thinking of keeping the size for each film to 1.5 gig or maybe 2 gig in some cases.

I have tried AutoGK with good results but I must admit you tend to get nasty block alias probs around peoples heads, etc...when they move. This might have been my settings as I used the default.

I have also tried using a few guides on different sites which involve using different apps like vitual dub etc to do the entire job myself ( had strange results with this

I am no stranger to using application ( being a software engineer for the last 23 years so complexity is not a problem, but my understanding of video is limited so I would need help in what is what with codec jargon.

Ok so basically to keep best results from dvd's into a 1.5 / 2 gig file I would need to...........

directions to software / guildes is mainly what I am looking for....

I suppose I do not want to spend a month trying diffent apps with different settings on conversions which take 4 hours a time and then having to watch it to compare with the last effort....when im sure a lot of you guys have already done this.

As im sure you can work out as well to convert 400 dvd's to xvid / divx is going to take a long time so I would like to make sure I get the best option to start with.

Thanks for any help...AND SORRY...if this is just another post of the same thing.
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

if i were in your shoes, i'd most definitely use DVX

dvx like other guis as well uses the most reliable tools available:

- virtualdubmod for the videoencoding
    - besweet for the audio conversion

you will have to have .net installed in order to run DVX, but i dont consider this a problem

i have used DVX for years and think it offers a userfriendly gui while on the other hand lets the advanced user do all the settings he might want to

after month of not converting dvd => avi i used the latest version of dvx a couple of days ago and i'm still convinced that this tool is easy to handle and most powerful at the same time

give it a go and dont hesitate to ask further questions

Comment

• anonymez
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2004

IMO the best tool for the job is 'gordian knot' (NOT 'auto'). it also uses vdubmod for video and besweet for audio, and IMO will give best quality possible when converting to xvid (divx is inferior). there is an excellent step-by-step guide at http://www.divx-digest.com

you can also try the guide at http://www.doom9.org
      "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• rancid_elf
        • Sep 2005

Just been looking at Gordian knot's audio section. I am not that up with audio codecs etc. Ac3 has 5.1 sound etc and as I am aware mp3 does not.

What audio settings would I need in GK to keep the full surround 5.1 audio etc?

Comment

• UncasMS
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2001

in decent tools like gk or dvx you can use the ac3 stream instead of mp3 or ogg

in DVX it is called *Mux ac3*

Comment

• TomHandson
            Banned
            • Sep 2005

Hello rancid_elf,
            i advice u to use imtoo dvd ripper. it will work that out excellent enough asi have used b4. as inf. is not video format, you can click"Open MPEG (VOB) File", after upload the files, you can converter them to the format you want by clicking"Ok" / "Converter"button. the software will converter them one by one even you select several ones in diffrent chapters. or so on. And you also can find Faq and guide page where you are told one step by one step to use it at the page:http://www.imtoo.com/dvd%20converter...struction.html

Comment

• TomHandson
              Banned
              • Sep 2005

ANd i think one had better not to keep so many dvd files in pc hardware. I used to be so. but now i always keep some of them on pc hw and Divx most of them with this software. it works pretty well. it's good tool to guys like me

Comment

Working...