Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nongrate
    • Nov 2005

divx version

i have alot of old divx movies that are divx 3 and i want to change them to divx 5 so that my dvd can read them how do i do that

• UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

maybe you should first try get a firmware update for your standalone palyer as this might lead to divx3 support?

Comment

• nongrate
      • Nov 2005

my dvd maraton - divx559
      its some crapy dvd that costs about 40 bucks and i cant even find the company that made it
      isent there a way to convert the files to divx 5?

Comment

• UncasMS
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2001

there sure IS a way to convert from divx3 to divx5, but....

... it'll take an enormous time
        ... you'll loose quality due to another encoding process

... the next best cheaper player should support divx3

if i were you i'd try this:

- make a copy/backup of one of the titles in question
        - download fourcc changer: http://www.divx-digest.com/software/avifourcc.html
        - load your avi with fourcc changer
        - change both 4cc codes to DX50, save the file and try it with a rewritable media on your player

DX50 is the code for divx 5
        if you're lucky your player refused to play the old divx3 only because it was told so and not because it actually couldnt really handle the format

if you change the 4cc code the file will now tell your player it is a divx5 format and maybe the player will accept this

the changing will cost you only some 10 seconds per title and not change its quality at all so this should be the first thing to try imho

Comment

• tigerman8u
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Aug 2003

IMO I wouldn't re-encode the divx 3 avi's especially since you have alot of them. If what "UncasMS stated doesn't work you could look at getting a new player. You can get some from under $50

Comment

Working...