Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kasemodz
    • Nov 2005

MPEG4 to VCD

I have this mpeg4 xvid video file that I would like to burn as vcd. Nero does support mpeg4 but takes forever to convert it. I wanted some burning program that would literally burn any video file (xvid, divx) into vcd or dvd and then burn it no questions asked. Prefer something new, any suggestions?
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

avi2dvd will let you output to vcd

due to the fact that it makes use of ENCODERS the task will take some time but the quality will be fine

since you were'nt even pleased with the time nero took i doubt, however, that this tool is for you

Comment

• paglamon
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Aug 2005

Use TMPGEnc to produce VCD.
      sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

tmpgenc can be used as suggested, it's free too for mpeg-1 encoding. this guide can be used except for the template in the guide. if you decide on this feel free to ask what is different from the guide when encoding a VCD.
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
        (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• tigerman8u
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Aug 2003

unfortunately encoding does take time. the speed of the encode is mainly dependent on the speed of your cpu. some encoders are faster than others and the settings you use and filters will also determine the speed of the encode. What I do when testing different encoders/software and settings is cut a small section of the video (2-5 min.) trying to get fast and slow scenes in the cut and use this for a test sample for quality.

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
            It Was The Dog, I Swear!
            • Nov 2003

Kasemodz said:
            "...I wanted some burning program that would literally burn any video file (xvid, divx) into vcd or dvd and then burn it no questions asked."

Unfortunately, It's not that easy. If it were, I never would have joined this forum. No matter what program you use, the video will have to be re-encoded (converted) to a Mpeg-1 VCD compliant file. That will result in some loss of quality usually but experience at this operation has allowed me to minimize loss, and sometimes improve it in some aspects. Even if the conversion is successful, there's no getting around the time it takes to convert the file.

To complicate matters, some downloaded AVI's (I assume your file is an mpeg-4 divx encoded AVI) have errors in them that will cause problems during conversion, such as audio sync problems or freezing during conversion. I personally DO NOT recommend using nero or any other burn program to convert anything. Those programs should stick to what they do best--burning.

I get the file ready before burning. I use virtualdubmod to split the AVI if it's over 1 hour 19 min, and use it to cut out any bad frames, and to convert the audio to a constant bitrate if needed. I end up with 2 files ready for conversion. I use tmpegenc to convert the avi's to mpeg-1 VCD files. Then I burn a VCD using those mpeg's. Any program that burns VCD's will do once the files are VCD compliant mpeg's.

It's worth it to take the time and learn how.

LT. Columbo's links are a great place to start.

Here's a link I recommend for people new to making AVI's from VCD's. It explains the method I use. I have great results 99% of the time, but it takes time to get those results!

Good luck.
            Last edited by DrinkOrDie; 30 Nov 2005, 11:34 AM.
            My toy:

Custom Build PC Born on 03-08-08AMD Athlon64 X2 6400+ (3.21Ghz) (Black Edition) on overclock ready Asus M2R32-MVP Crossfire AMD chipset Mobo, 8-Channel HD Audio, Windows XP MCE, 2GB 800Mhz DDR2, 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 500GB SATA-II HardDisks X 4 in RAID 4 mode,(1.5 TB storage capacity + 500GB eSata external) Sony MultiRec DVD-RW, PCI-HDTV Tuner, SOYO Topaz S 24" Wide LCD 1920X1200

Comment

• j1mmy
              • Nov 2005

To be honest kasemodz it sounds like you wanta DVD player that can play MPEG-4 AVIs burned to CD rather rahter VCDs if you don't want to spend ages converting each one. Luckily the price of these players is pretty low now.

Comment

Working...