Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chaoticjames
    • Apr 2002

2-pass and 1-pass I don't understand!

Hi. I'm a newbie. I know how to convert, however my DIVX files that i convert from DVD formatt are rather large sometimes.

I use FlaskMPEG .6
    I always use DIVX 5.0 Pro Codec
    I don't know how to fix it.

1st. For some reason, when I rip to audio formatt of mpeg-3layer, the sound doesn't come out. Does anyone know why?

2nd. What is 2-pass 2nd pass and 2-pass 1st pass?

I'm trying to understand the tutorial, but it doesn't make sense to me?
    A complete guide for DVD to DivX and Xvid conversion, now featuring instructions for Xvid encoding (page 2 of 5)

Go to Instruction #6-13.

line9:"start the first-pass conversion..."
    Then in line15: "... start the second-pass conversion."

What do they want us to do exactly?

Does this actually do something?
    I don't understand. Because when i perform the 2nd pass, all it does it deletes the 1st pass, overwriting it. Therefore, it deletes it permanetely, as if it were never made. Is this a waste of time?

Is this actually helping the process?

Please help. Any ideas?

[MSD]Chaoticjames
  • techno
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Nov 2001

1st pass does not produce as good quality as 2pass. The 2pass produces better quality and also is more size predictable.

Try re-installing the MP3 codec (radium, I never has any probs with it).

Follow the DVD ripping guides there, it is simple and straight forward, use DIVX 3.11alpha. This is because it is good quality, a touch faster sometimes, low file size without loss of quality.

Techno

Comment

• Enchanter
      Old member
      • Feb 2002

I would suggest that you process the audio separately from the video, or a least, process the audio in PCM .WAV format (No compression). This will save you some headache later on from audio-related problems.

For the video, you basically perform the first-pass 2-pass, and then second-pass two pass. Each pass takes as long as it would when encoding the movie as usual, so overall encoding time required is at least twice as long, but the quality is often worth it. The first pass analyses the movie and creates a bitrate curve, which will be referred to by the codec in the second pass to make a Variable Bit Rate video. Just make sure that you have specified a .log file before starting the first pass in the codec option.

Lastly, people still seem to be having trouble with the DivX5 (which I personally think still deserves the name BETA instead due to its number of bugs). DivX4.12 will give you a more hassle-free, economical (Read: free) and reliable experience with Flask.

Comment

• Erci
        Digital Video Enthusiast
        Digital Video Enthusiast
        • Nov 2001

I would suggest you to use GordianKnot and nadub instead if you want to achieve better quality.
        You can find the main guide at www.doom9.org/gknot-main.htm
        or you can look at my guide at hem.fyristorg.com/dvdriping
        Check them out and see what you think.

//Erci
        DVD Backup Guide

Comment

• techno
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Nov 2001

I love your words Enchanter!

Techno

Comment

• Batman
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Jan 2002

Some information on 2 pass encoding from TechTV:

Two-pass encoding involves a first pass that analyzes the video and determines which scenes should receive more data (complex scenes) and which scenes can make do with less data (low-motion or still shots). After the first pass, a log file is generated and used during the second pass to give the encoder a "heads up" regarding the complexity of upcoming scenes. Two-pass encoding methods generally offer the best picture quality at the smallest file sizes. Compared to DivX 4.x, version 5.0 better utilizes the log data and increases the speed of the second pass of the encoder. DivXNetworks claims this optimization increases the second pass by up to 30 percent. In our testing, we found this claim to be fairly accurate and a great incentive to upgrade.

Comment

• chaoticjames
              • Apr 2002

Thanks for the tips on 2 pass. It works like a charm. Good quality...

I want to use an MP3 codec. So, I have do it separately? And Fuse the sound together with the picture? Man. That sounds hard. Are there any tutorial websites that can take me through step by step?

Enchanter, how is it that DIVX 4.12 is better you say?
              I haven't had any plbs with 5.0 codec. If I use the 4.12, it won't help me with my audio will it?

I have no plbs with the 5.0 codec!

Do you?

Comment

• Erci
                Digital Video Enthusiast
                Digital Video Enthusiast
                • Nov 2001

[QUOTE]Originally posted by chaoticjames
                [B]And Fuse the sound together with the picture? Man. That sounds hard. Are there any tutorial websites that can take me through step by step?

You can read about that in on of the sites I wrote down (go to mine)=)

//Erci
                DVD Backup Guide

Comment

• chaoticjames
                  • Apr 2002

This process is way to time consuming.

I'm getting into some heavy ripping and this would take me forever.

Too much manual work.

If only the damn FlaskMPEG mpeg 3 layer worked!

IT would solve all my plbs. I guess I'll be using ACM until Someone finds a solution to this audio plb.

the alternative of manually multiplexing the sound with the video, is way too work intensive.

Thanks for the suggestion. But I'm looking for someone who understands why MY FlaskMPEG v.6 doesn't work with sound!

Does anyone know where i Can get XMpeg?

The french website link is dead. Please don't give me a link to that.

Please help thanks.

Comment

• Erci
                    Digital Video Enthusiast
                    Digital Video Enthusiast
                    • Nov 2001

I just want to say that it's not very hard to multiplex the audio and the video it'll just take a minute or so. check out one of the guides if you want to learn.

//Erci
                    DVD Backup Guide

Comment

• UncasMS
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2001

@ erci

some ppl prefer to get an output result without spending any thought on the routine itself.

afterwards, however, they spend hours troubleshooting their inferior rips

such is life

@ chaoticjames

no offence meant, lad, but erci is right:

gordianknot/nandub isnt to hard to handle and it will reward you with great reliability and superb avi files.

take a look at it and spare some time on this routine!
                      Last edited by UncasMS; 9 Apr 2002, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Working...