X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jagarus
    • Apr 2002

1 CD or 2 CDS?

Anyone think 2CD movies are worth it?

Nowadays, people like dominion and vite are going 2 cds on movies which can easily fit onto 1cd.

Anyone have something to say on this?
  • Deus
    • Nov 2001

What do you mean 2cds like as in dvds? or vcds? divx? what? as in dvds yea i dont like them its just a gimmic to act like we are getting more. and as for vcds all movie fit on atleast 2 cds. and Divx 2 cd movies are rare and most likely good quality.

Comment

• Enchanter
      Old member
      • Feb 2002

2-CD DivX movies will definitely be very high-quality, closely parallelling that of the original DVD. However, I've always liked the convenience of not having to swap CDs in the middle of the movie. All I need to do is make sure that the 1-CD rip has acceptably high quality. After all, you can't expect too much with a bitrate of 500-600.

Comment

• techno
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Nov 2001

I make one CD rips, sorry folks! But it all depends on the type of movie, all movies are different with bitrate when encoding in DIVX.

I had just ripped East is East, I put a file size of 699 and gave me a bitrate of 903/906 so I did a 2pass, woke up the next morning, turned on the PC and played back the video, YES, it WAS GOOD QUALITY but there were artifacts and SOME blocks, not alot. The file size was 675MB althought I said 699MB to the calculator, but we all know that the file sizes can go up or down.

Anyway, I did not increase the bitrate as then I would have to do another 2pass in nandub, which I couldn't do because of time.

So, I encoded using DVDx to low motion. The quality was good but there were more blocks and file size was 685MB. I encoded it again with a HIGHER bitrate, but it still did not do the trick. I did another encode again with a Higher bitrate, but no luck! So I used fast motion and the quality is great now, no blocks or artifacts (for some reason) and also the file size was 445MB!

What I am saying is that every movie it varies with bitrate, also the type of encoder/codec you use.

Techno

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

A bitrate of 900 is pretty high, making a 2 CD rip unnecessary. What resolution are you using, Techno? In my experience, a bitrate of 900 hardly ever gives me any blocking problems. Shits are rare.

Comment

• techno
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Nov 2001

Enchanter:

Thanks for helping:

The res was 480*256.

Look at my guide, the method number 1, that is what I did:

Please excuse the english!

Techno

Comment

• techno
              Digital Video Master
              Digital Video Master
              • Nov 2001

Here is anither example:

Snatch the movie, if you encode it in low motion or 2pass in nandub, the quality is good but artifacts, if done in fast motion, the quality is great.

I am not saying low motion or nandub is rubbish, they ARE EXCELLENT!!! Some movies are better encoded with a different version of the codec!

Techno

Comment

• Erci
                Digital Video Enthusiast
                Digital Video Enthusiast
                • Nov 2001

You I and used a little bit different methods on our guides... try the way I do it instead and you see that the video size will get exact...
                And the audio you can convert on a much easier way...

//Erci
                DVD Backup Guide

Comment

• techno
                  Digital Video Master
                  Digital Video Master
                  • Nov 2001

hmmm suppose but I followed UnCasMS's and Enchanters way. I will give it a shot when I have time!

Techno

Comment

• Erci
                    Digital Video Enthusiast
                    Digital Video Enthusiast
                    • Nov 2001

oki... I believe that they now what they are doing...

//Erci
                    §
                    DVD Backup Guide

Comment

• boloog
                      • May 2002

I always use 2 cd's. Resolution 720x576 and bitrates between 1200 and 2000kbps. Quality is great. On charlies angels I used about 1700kbps and looks just like dvd. I don't have to swap cd's. Just put my first cd in dvd player and second cd in cd-writer. Just make a playlist and of you go. There is just a small hick-up when player switches files.

Comment

• Enchanter
                        Old member
                        • Feb 2002

That playlist thingy won't work well if you plan to distribute the CDs to a number of people with different system setups though.

Comment

• UncasMS
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2001

720x576
                          boolog,

that resolution is everything but fine!!!

an ideal resolution should be div/32 for x-res and div/16 for y-res

thus it should NOT be 720 but 704 instead

but more important: this way you always make fullscreen movies with wrong aspect ratios!

make yourself familiar with resizing and cropping, you should NOT go for 720x576!!

Comment

• Enchanter
                            Old member
                            • Feb 2002

I have learnt not to argue with people deciding to keep the "full" DVD resolution. They keep insisting that cropping & resizing will mean that it is no longer DVD quality. What can I ever say? Such resolutions rarely work well, especially for sub-GHz systems, but if that's what some wish to use...

Comment

• Batman
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              • Jan 2002

It depends on the movie---high resolutions tend to "choke" older systems. However, it depends on the movie. I personally believe a 1 cd rip is good enough for divx.

For the movie "Disney's Robin Hood" I found a really good quality smr movie, a vhs rip I guess, at 300 mb, plays well on my old P200 and the quality is very good, easily viewed in full screen, without blocks or artifacts.

Comment

Working...