X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tungsten
    • Nov 2001

Encoding takes forever...

greetings!

i am new at dvd2divx conversion and i've read quite a few guides. I decided to go with Nandub since the movie quality is supposed to be better. So, I rip the dvd with smart-ripper, i open the .vob's with dvd2avi, i save the dvd2avi project, i convert it to .avi with the vfapi converter and open it from Nandub. So far so good. I make the first pass with NO AVI OUTPUT (it takes about 14hours), collect the .stats file and set the divx4.02 codec bitrate at 1000, minimum of 600, and the gauges and bitrate curve according to Nicky's guide. No problem till here... then I try to save as avi. Oops! The frame rendering rate of the second pass falls from 4 (which was in the case of the first pass) to almost ZERO and the estimated time from 14h to 48h! And I ask: is this normal on an AMD K6II 450MHz computer (256MB RAM)??? It's not the 48h thing that amazes me but the difference between the time needed for the 1st and 2nd pass (all the guides I've read say that the two passes last almost the same...)! Oh! I've tried to remedy the problem by reducing the bitrate but it didn't seem to make any difference... (maybe i should just WASTE the computer ...)

If you were bold enough to read this through please answer....

THANX!
  • khp
    The Other
    • Nov 2001

I think you problem is that you are using divx4.11 with nandub, nandub was made for multipass divx 3.11 encoding. Use either nandub with 3.11 or virtualdub with 4.11, quality should be about the same.

khp
    Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• UncasMS
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2001

you're absolutely right, KHP, divx4 MUST NOT be used with NANDUB!

use divx 3.x or ms v2 (which i prefer, since i had macroblock errors even with antishit on using divx3.x)

otherwise congratz for going the hard but proper way

btw: 14 for one pass?
      what cpu is that?
      ~ 600 mhz?
      Last edited by UncasMS; 1 Dec 2001, 06:28 AM.

Comment

• tungsten
        • Nov 2001

well... thank you for your helpful replies but.... that wasn't it! i disabled the anti-shit and....presto!15-16h!!!!i'm not satisfied with the quality though so i think i should go with the ms v2 codec anyway...

btw, i directly extract the audio as ac3 with graph edit, is that ok??? and should i use full post processing or just direct-stream-copy the sound?

thanx again! THIS IS 1 COOL FORUM!

Comment

• UncasMS
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2001

which way you prefer to extract the sound stream is up 2 u, BUT...

since you are using dvd2avi anyway, why not have dvd2avi extract (either demux [i.e. extracting the sound stream just the way it is - ac3 in most cases] or decode [i.e. converting ac3 to wav while extracting] your desired sound stream???

and what do you mean with:
          should i use full post processing or just direct-stream-copy the sound?

when multiplexing you avi with the sound stream afterwards DO use direct stream for both IF YOU want ac3 (not mp3)!

Comment

• tungsten
            • Nov 2001

UncasMS thanx very very much for your time!

the movie looks GREAT! it spans on 2 cds but the quality is well worth it!

once again.... THIS IS ONE COOL FORUM!

Comment

Working...