X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maz2003
    • Jun 2002

how do you cut mpeg-2 files???

Hi,
    What application should I use to cut an mpeg-2 file into smaller pieces? Also, if a guide for the application isn't available, could you describe the particular steps involved?
    Thanks.
  • maz2003
    • Jun 2002

NanDub didn't work

BTW, I forgot to mention, I tried to do this in Nandub, but Nandub couldn't open the mpeg-2 file. It gave the error message:

"Mpeg import filter: Pack synchronization error."

I'm guessing NanDub simply doesn't operate on mpeg-2 files, only .avi .

Comment

• UncasMS
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2001

TMPEG

Comment

• maz2003
        • Jun 2002

audio/video out of sync with TMPGEnc

I used TMPGEnc to cut a 30 second clip from a large mpeg-2 file to a separate file. But when I play the 30s clip, the audio trails the video by about 1s. How can I fix this?

I tried demultiplexing and then multiplexing, but I couldn't find a way to introduce a delay in the audio stream, so I just got the same out-of-sync file again.
        Thanks.

Comment

• cheftaz
          • Apr 2002

Use tmpgenc but don't use merge/cut to split your file. Works great for merging but the cutting almost always creates probs. To split use
          1 settings
          2 advanced
          3 put a check in source range
          4 double click "source range"
          5 select start and end points
          6 press start

There is also (you will see) audio gap correct use this to correct synch probs. If aud is ahead of vid use negative numbers and vice versa. Remember the aud gap is in MILISECONDS so 1000 is 1 second. If using this just do a 1-2 min clip and check to make any synch adjustments before doing whole movie
          Hope this helps
          Feathery fudge chocolate cake with white chocolate and pistachio buttercream!

Comment

• maz2003
            • Jun 2002

Cheftaz - I got no audio?!

Cheftaz, I did what you said but the resulting clip had no audio. I used the stream type of system(video+audio) throughout. What am I doing wrong?
            Thanks.

Comment

• maz2003
              • Jun 2002

still no audio

Cheftaz, I think I know why there is no audio. On the main screen, I had not specified an audio source file (I left it blank).
              But when I tried to specify the source audio file (same as source video mpeg-2 file), I got the message :

"File c:\whatever.mpeg can not open, or unsupported".

I can play the mpeg-2 file in TMPGEnc (audio+video) so why won't it accept the file as an audio source?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

• cheftaz
                • Apr 2002

Maz
                What are u trying to make SVCD? Make sure u select svcd template.
                What aud source did u use when it tried before (the 30 sec clip) resulting in synch prob?
                Could try opening in vdub and convert to wav and then use that as your aud source. Not sure though if vdub works with mpeg2
                Also get the nimo codec pack. Has all codecs u will need

Comment

• maz2003
                  • Jun 2002

still stuck...

All I'm trying to do is cut a large mpeg-2 file (2.3 GB, audio+video) into smaller pieces.
                  The first time, in TMPGEnc I went to File->MPEG tools->Merge&Cut and it did the job, but the audio was delayed a little. I had only specified source video file, not source audio file.
                  Then I tried it your way (Settings->Advanced->Source Range)without specifying the source audio file. But the resulting smaller clip had no audio. When I tried to specify a source audio file, I got the error message I mentioned earlier:
                  "File c:\whatever.mpeg can not open, or unsupported".
                  And now I'm stuck...
                  VDub/NanDub does not work with mpeg-2.
                  I will try to get the Nimo codec pack and see if that helps. Thanks.

Comment

• cheftaz
                    • Apr 2002

Did it work
                    also here is what someone else did that had the same prob (unsupported audio)
                    "I have the same problem. The MPG2 file I was inputting was the output of the demultiplexing operation. However, the main window would say that the audio was un supported.

I solved this by trimming the first second from the MPG2 with TMPGenc merge & cut. And guess what.

It worked."

Comment

Working...