X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

Upscale on PC rather than TV?

Is anyone doing upscaling on the PC instead of using the DVD player or TV HD upscaler?

I'm just curious. On another board someone suggested this VideoEnhancer app. I'm trying it now. The scheme it uses is to gather info from surrounding frames rather than just resizing the current frame, to upscale to 720P say.

Looks like the "fast mode" will take 2x of real time to process. I'm feeding it an .avi file just to see what comes out. By default it seems to want to upsize to 720P.

When it's done I'll put both .avi on a USB key and play in my WD player just to see if I can tell the difference.
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

i never used a pc for this job as the blu-ray player does a decent job

and after all it's still interpolating and we cant expect to get the picture better when there is no such thing as decent information to start with

your input is 480 then and you scale to 720?

Comment

• MilesAhead
      Eclectician
      • Nov 2006

The original idea was if I could take a letterboxed 4:3 mpg and put it through AutoGK producing a 16x9 avi after autocropping, that looked good on my upconverting DVD player, what would happen if I tried to produce 720P avi output directly? So far the results indicate it's better left to hardware. But I guess it was curiosity more than anything.

I tried using Xvid4PSP on a short mpg clip. It produced 720P avi file but it went all out of sync on my WD player even after rebuilding frames on the output clip.

Guess this idea isn't going to yield anything useful. 'cept maybe that I tried free Xvid4PSP software. It looks like it may have some uses. I haven't tried it enough yet to know.

I tried VideoEnhancer on 2 clips and both had pixelated output. That's already uninstalled.
      Last edited by MilesAhead; 24 Apr 2010, 07:17 AM.

Comment

• UncasMS
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2001

hehehe, better feed blu-ray material to your wd

ts or m2ts should be supported

i watched avatar today on bd and it has one of the best picture qualities i have ever seen so far and sound was not bad either though other titles have had excellent sound streams as well

Comment

• MilesAhead
          Eclectician
          • Nov 2006

Yup. That's what I've been doing is muxing mkv to m2ts. Seems to hold sync in the WD player better than mkv. mkv seems to be ok for 5 GB and smaller. But m2ts I can play 20 GB+ files, as long as I don't FF.

I got curious about the avi HD because some stuff I've played on the WD looks really good considering the file size. I guess when it comes to avi the trick is to size down, not up.. at least when using software to do it.

Comment

Working...