Dvix Player 2.0 Alpha won't play back movie!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rach3_drummern
    • Aug 2002

Dvix Player 2.0 Alpha won't play back movie!

I am a beginner at DivX conversion and would be greatful for some help. Here's the problem:

I ripped Black Hawk Down onto the computer using DivX Decrypter, all fine and good. Then I used Xmpeg to convert the VOB files using DivX 5.0.1 codec. It worked fine when I tried little sections of the movie as test runs (apart from some off-sync audio, which I can figure out), but when I tried then to do the whole movie, the file won't open in DivX Player 2.0 Alpha. The player just sits there like it's trying to open it up but nothing happens. I'm not sure if this is a player problem or if it stems back to the conversion process, but I would appreciate some help from someone who knows what he/she's doing. It almost seems like Xmpeg is quiting the conversion early because, for a 144 minute movie, the conversion took less than two hours. What could be the problem????
  • khp
    The Other
    • Nov 2001

How big is the file you are creating ?, if it hits 2 GB that might be the problem.
    Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• Rach3_drummern
      • Aug 2002

Each of the VOB files are 1 GB each (not that it matters, but it makes me sound like I know what I'm talking about...), but the converted file (at least the two times I've tried it) are consistantly around 270 Mb, so they aren't THAT big. I've played plenty of 600 Mb avi movies and they work fine, so I don't know what's going on.

Is there some process during Xmpeg setup that I'm unaware of that splits the file so it's not so big, or am I not using the right bitrate...I have no clue what it could be... like I said, I'm new to this. This is my second day even learning about Divx...

I appreciate the help. Thanks.

Comment

• uklawman
        • Aug 2002

Re: Dvix Player 2.0 Alpha won't play back movie!

It almost seems like Xmpeg is quiting the conversion early because, for a 144 minute movie, the conversion took less than two hours.

...but the converted file (at least the two times I've tried it) are consistantly around 270 Mb, so they aren't THAT big.
        There lies the problem, it sounds like your encoding process is not being finished, therefore 2 hours of encoding (or there abouts) is resulting in a 270mb file. Since you've tried this twice, both times with a file size of 270mb it could be that the DVD has a scratch or mark on it that your DivX Decrypter is falling over with and is perhaps perhaps subsituting the rest of the vob file with garbage or will give up trying to get the rest of the data contained within that vob movie?

This might account for the Divx Player hanging up, since its trying to play a broken movie, which it cant. I've read somewhere that it can play broken movies but so far I've never been able to get it to do this

Comment

Working...