Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vostere
    • Sep 2002

No sound - browsing the forum didn't help

I cannot play any .AVI file. I have no problem playing .mpg files or anything else, only the .AVi. Picture is fine, but no sound. I have searched the forum, but couldn't find anything that helped me there. I am able to play all AVI files if I use the player called "the playa" but not in any other player. I get no sound in BSPlayer, WMP, or winDVD. I tried installing the nimo codec pack - that didn't work. Then I uninstalled the nimo pack and tried the tsunami pack. Still no help, and after installing the tsunami codec pack, my picture was upside down as well as with no sound. I would really like to be able to play the avi files with sound and not just in "the playa"

Help and hints most appreciated.
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Possible formats for the audio in your AVI files include:
    1. MP3 (Your system should be capable of playing this)
    2. WMA (Install 3.11a or download the necesarry codec from MS using WMP)
    3. OGG (You need the Ogg Vorbis Direct Show filter implementation)
    4. AC3 (Install the AC3 codec from a codec pack, such as Nimo or Tsunami. Alternatively, install a DVD player software, such as WinDVD or PowerDVD)

You can also find out what audio codec is required for specific AVI files by checking their File Information via Virtualdub.

Comment

• vostere
      • Sep 2002

I used virtualdub, as you suggested, and discovered that the files with, for me, no sound, are using an audio codec called fraunhofer IIs MPEG layer3 codec. I installed the nimo codec again, this time making sure that particular codec was checked. Still doesn't work.

There must be something I'm doing wrong, but what?

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

Uninstall Nimo and reinstall it, this time checking ONLY the video codecs that you need and the AC3 codec (only if you have videos with AC3 sound stream). Tick nothing else. This is what I do and everything works fine. As a note, a stock installation of Windows (98SE and above) is capable of playing MP3, so there is no need to install any additional MP3 decoder.

You might want to try out PowerDivX as well, seeing that you have not mentioned it before...

Comment

• vostere
          • Sep 2002

Tried powerDVD as well. Didn't work. Also tried to reinstall nimo codec, only checking the codecs I need. Still no result. What I'm wondering, is... I run winXP, a copied version, and I am not able to use the automatic update anymore and thus have not installed service pack 1 (or any other update). Are there a few files in that update that I need to be able to play DivX files with sound in media player? Maybe I'm grasping at straws here, so if you please, enlighten me!

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

I run winXP, a copied version, and I am not able to use the automatic update anymore and thus have not installed service pack 1 (or any other update).
            Are you referring to those counterfeit copies of Windows? I've seen systems using such copies and they work just fine. Updating, according to the users, has never been of any trouble.

Your problem is a strange one and I admit I've never encountered such a problem (where Windows seems unable to play MP3). I will assume that you have somehow lost the MP3 decoder filter (hence most media players being unable to play the sound stream). You will need to install that specific filter and if it does not work, I strongly suggest you do a reformat and reinstall of Windows (being unable to update indicates serious problems with the system).

Comment

• jastheace
              • Sep 2002

I believe your problem might be in the codec installation. It gets to a codec then asks if you want to overwrite the newer file. SAY YES. Please tell me if this works.

Comment

Working...