Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kotecha
    • Jul 2002

Playback .avi Files

I have a bunch of files which list the codec to be: divx. There are other files which list codec to be: mp43 and one with mp42.

Windows media player plays the mp43, mp42 just fine. However, on trying to play files w/divx codec, I et a crash, really a crash on Windos XP.

Any idea on how I should proceed to play the divx codec converted files so that I can conver them to vcd ?

Thanks
    Attached Files
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Try installing the latest version of the DivX 5 (I believe it's 5.02) codec...

Comment

• kotecha
      • Jul 2002

Actually, I do have the 5.02 DviX codec installed. I went ahead, uninstalled and reinstalled.

I still can't play.

The system was rebooted. The problem still exists. Seems like the DiVx codec called by these movie files is different than what 5.02 installs.

TMpgEnc doesn't recognize these files as well.

My original note has the file that did not work.
      any more ideas ?

Comment

• troggle
        • Sep 2002

hi, did the .avi files used to freeze when u tried playing them ever?

Comment

• kotecha
          • Jul 2002

Freze

No, the file simply did not play. My original post has a sample file if you like to try it.

It basically crashed MS Media Player....

Comment

• Batman
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Jan 2002

What version of windows media player are you using? You may want to try wmp version 6.4 or the divx player.

Comment

• kotecha
              • Jul 2002

The MEdiaPlayer is Version: 8.0.0.4482.

I tried using the Playa - bundled with DiVX codec pkg 5.02, that did not work. I will see if I can find a computer w/Medai player version 6.x.

The file is attached in my original note - it was compressed - if you liek to play with it...

Thx.

Comment

• PCaravan
                • Jun 2002

I had the same problem and I use XP as well. I've tried all these suggestions and then some. What finally worked is this: I use AviC to change the FOURCC in the file. I just keep trying different combinations of 'Description Code' and 'Code Used' until it finally works. Once I find a combination that works, WMP doesn't crash anymore. However I still get computer feeze using other players.

Comment

• kotecha
                  • Jul 2002

Tell me - what is AviC and where can I find it?

Comment

• PCaravan
                    • Jun 2002

I got it out of the Tsunami Codec pack I think. I think this website has a link to it somewhere. If not just run a search in your internet search engine and you should find a link to a page where you can download this pack. When installing it... just select the Avi FourCC Changer option on custom installation. Otherwise you'll get quite a bit of other stuff... unless you want that other stuff of course.

Comment

• lagme
                      • Sep 2002

I have a slightly different problem. Some avi files was fine before. Just after i reinstall windows and codecs i couldn't play them anymore. Everytime i try to play them, explorer consume a big amount of ram and finally crash.
                      I tried uninstall/reinstall the codec several times but it didn't work. Anyone have an idea how to fix it. By the way i've divx 5.02 installed.
                      Last edited by lagme; 22 Sep 2002, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Working...