Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tsartas
    • Sep 2002

New PC-new problems playing divxs

From Greece Iwould like to say a big thanks to everyone trying here to help me.
    I ve just bought a PC (P4-1700,256ram,on board sis graphics chipset,40 GB,etc).I have tried to view the divx movies I had and the problem is that the screen every 2secs is freezing and the hole situation seems to present a graphics card problem.
    I have installed the latest codec 5.0 bundle, i run the movie from my hard disk, and i have also tried older versions of divx codec, I have windows XP
    please help me
  • Deus
    • Nov 2001

What divx player are you using?

Comment

• tsartas
      • Sep 2002

The players I have tried were the windows media player that comes with winXP and the micro dvd player version1.2

Comment

• Deus
        • Nov 2001

I would just experment with other Divx Players.I have heard of people having problems playing Divx with Xp.

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

Try using the more reliable Windows Media Player 6.4 (run the command "mplayer2.exe"). By the way, how many megs of memory does the on-board video adapter use? It may not have the grunt to display the videos correctly.

Comment

• tsartas
            • Sep 2002

It uses 32MB of the 256MB memory.

Comment

• Enchanter
              Old member
              • Feb 2002

A few suggestions to try out in order:

1. Play a "problematic" movie and while in playback, press Ctrl-Alt-Del and go to Task Manager -> Performance. Check that the CPU Usage does not constantly peak at 100%.
              2. Borrow a stand-alone graphics card (while making sure that it is not ancient either) and see if the same problem is reproduced.
              3. Update your drivers (for either the on-board chip or any other graphics card you may use). It may just improve things.

The reason I'm suspecting the video card is that I've seen what such chips can do to a perfectly capable system in terms of video playback.

Comment

Working...