Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dnDVF
    • Sep 2002

Probs with DivX+AC3+SPDIF+home theater

This is about getting divx movies with ac3 sound to produce 5.1 in a home theater via spdif.

Hi,

I have a decent computer (running XP pro), Creative SB Live 5.1, a reciever with digital coax in (Pioneer VSX-808RDS), a bunch of DivX movies with AC3 sound and a big problem.

Playing the movies (and others with MP3/OGG sound) works fine, both on my computer and on my TV via TV-Tool. If I put the sound through my reciever with non-AC3 movies (via analog or SPDIF/digital coax in) I get Dolby Surround, and that's fine. If I run a movie with AC3 via digital I still gets DS and not Dolby Digital 5.1, and that's not fine.

It seems like I've tried it all; installed PowerDVD, WinDVD, Radlight 3.03 R5 (the last non ad/ad-aware remover), PowerDivX, AC3 codecs bundled with movies and so on and so forth. No luck.

If there's anyone out there that knows of a guide to make this work or have the time/will to tell me, I'd be greatly thankful.

Cheers,

Daniel
  • beatomen
    • Oct 2002

well, Another guy had luck with first setting the InterVideo to 'Stereo' and then later back to SPDIF output... Seemed to do it for him...

BTW, what kin dof cable do you use to hook up souncard and reciever? monojack2phono???

Comment

• dodgey99
      • Oct 2002

I might be of some help (IF ANYONE HAS CRACKED THIS PLEASE SPEAK UP!!!!).

I have had EXACTLY the same problem and now have results - sort of. Read on.

From what I have learnt....and I could be wrong...

Dixv player, PowerDVD, Zoom Player Do not support DIVX AC3 output via spdiff yet. Even with all of the filters installed.

BSPlayer does.

I got BSPlayer to work by editing the settings to: Unckeck "Use AC3 settings", Uncheck "Equalise AC3". Then set the audio output to "use Spdiff". Then exit Bsplayer.

Now launch BSplayer, open the movie, and hey presto, you have AC3 through the SPDIFF.

BUT - if I open another AC3 movie it goes back to pro logic. I have to close BSPlayer and then re-open it each time I want AC3 to work. So if I am watching a 2 part movie I can't "playlist" the files, I have to close and re-open BSPlayer half way through.

It took a bit of playing about. I'm guessing I have the settings right but there is a driver / overlay / codec problem somewhere. When I get bored I'm going to remove ALL divx stuff and start again!

As for the cable - Yes (make sure you tell the SB software you are using the port for spdiff and not speakers)

Comment

• dodgey99
        • Oct 2002

Cracked it!

I installed PowerDivx. This had the same problems, but this time with an error message that made sense. The error was "missing imp4.dll" or similar. That suggested a bad mp4 filter / codec so I re-installed the Tsunami codec pack and installed pretty much everything except the stream switcher and hey presto! everything works fine now..

Comment

Working...