X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zetce
    • Sep 2002

Radeon 8500 bad for playing movies?

Hi,
    I have following problem. I had quite od hardware - AMD K6-2 3D, 128MB RAM. Virge 3D - TVOUT.
    And watching divx movies was quite annoying because the video was slower than audio. So when watching - you could first hear what's goin on and after few seconds - see it. Only for patient people So I had some ideas how to upgrade. One of them was buying better graphic adapter. The collegue of mine has GForce MX2, so I took it and put in my computer and everything was fine. The processor usage decreased from 100% to 70% and the movie was played correct.
    I had the chance to buy ATI Radeon 8500 in the good price so I though it would behave even better than MX2. Unfortunately I was supprised. The processor overload is 100% (like with the old Virge ) and the movie is out of synch with sound. I tried different codecs and players - allways the same. Could you please advice me what can I do and why Radeon is slower than quite old MX2 in this case? Why processor ussage decreased with Gforce Mx2 and didn't with ATI Radeon?

ZetCe
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Re: Radeon 8500 bad for playing movies?

Originally posted by zetce
    Hi,
    I have following problem. I had quite od hardware - AMD K6-2 3D, 128MB RAM. Virge 3D - TVOUT.
    And watching divx movies was quite annoying because the video was slower than audio. So when watching - you could first hear what's goin on and after few seconds - see it. Only for patient people So I had some ideas how to upgrade. One of them was buying better graphic adapter. The collegue of mine has GForce MX2, so I took it and put in my computer and everything was fine. The processor usage decreased from 100% to 70% and the movie was played correct.
    I had the chance to buy ATI Radeon 8500 in the good price so I though it would behave even better than MX2. Unfortunately I was supprised. The processor overload is 100% (like with the old Virge ) and the movie is out of synch with sound. I tried different codecs and players - allways the same. Could you please advice me what can I do and why Radeon is slower than quite old MX2 in this case? Why processor ussage decreased with Gforce Mx2 and didn't with ATI Radeon?

ZetCe
    The graphics adapter has nothing to do with your DivX playback performance. The only major acceleration they all, Geforce & Radeon families, do is DVD and games. The lower CPU usage you experienced with the GF2MX is most probably because you were running the movie at a lower display specs and hence the less CPU power requirement.

The only way you can get rid of your sound lagging is to use a more powerful processor. The current graphics card lines do not (yet) accelerate any DivX movies, let alone the older 3.11-contents.

p.s. I have the Radeon 8500 card as well and it displays beautifully on my system, much better detail and picture quality than my old GF2MX.
    Last edited by Enchanter; 20 Sep 2002, 03:24 AM.

Comment

Working...