X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nikki
    • Oct 2002

Spyware question

n00b alert!

Or, in other words: my apologies if this has been asked a thousand times already... although I did some searches on these forums, I still wasn't entirely sure if I understood the situation correctly...

What I want to do: no encoding/publishing or whatever, but simply play back video-files that were encoded as DivX, regardless wether they're 3.11alpha, 4.whatever, or 5.02 encoded DivX-files.

What I want to know: am I correct in understanding that the free 5.02 codec does NOT contain any spyware or adware? Of course, it may be stated on the divx.com-site that the 5.02 PRO is the one that contains adware, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the free 5.02 lite version is devoid of any malicious functionalities...

Also, do I understand correctly that I need to follow up the registry-changes as described in the sticky notice if I want 3.11 encoded DivX to be played back using the original 3.11 codec instead of DivX 5.02 overriding it?

Thanks every so much in advance,
    Nikki.
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

am I correct in understanding that the free 5.02 codec does NOT contain any spyware or adware?
    Yes, as far as I'm aware of. The Nimo codec pack 5 build 8 contains the DivX 5.02 and I believe it's the non-spyware version (I installed it into my system and scanned for spywares using Ad-aware. Found nothing). You may consider using that.

Just something that I discovered with the said codec pack. The options allow you to choose the codec DivX 3.11 to play 3.11 contents and DivX 5.02 to play 5.x and 4.x contents. It works under WinME, but I've not been able to get the same result with WinXP. You may have better luck than me.

Comment

• nikki
      • Oct 2002

Thanks... I presume you were talking about the Nemo Lite pack? On the main-page of the Nemo site it's mentioned that the DivX5 codec contained in the package is the ad-ware version...

In any case I now know for sure that 5.02 content can be played back without having to install ad/spyware, and if Nemo doesn't work out for me, I can still try the 5.02 lite codec from divx.com without having to worry TOO much

Thanks again!
      Nikki.

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

You're welcome.

Comment

Working...