How To Play dixv/avi Under RedHat Linux 8.0?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TerryC
    • Jul 2002

How To Play dixv/avi Under RedHat Linux 8.0?

hi guys,

like the title says, is there a way to play divx 5 encoded avi files under linux? i know vcd works perfectly without a hitch but not divx.

feel free to share your comments and experience. many thanks.

terry
  • Batman
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2002

"lindows" allows windows programs to function on linux.

The "mplayer" may allow you to play divx media.

Comment

• khp
      The Other
      • Nov 2001

Install mplayer from

And The linux version of the Divx5 codec from www.divx.com.

I'am using Redhat 8.0 right now, and it works perfectly
      Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
      http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• TerryC
        • Jul 2002

hey khp,

thanks for suggestion. i'll give it a go tonight. for some strange reason, vcd/mpeg/mp3 files no longer play (no suitable player) in 8.0 (but did work in previous 7.3 release), is there a way around this?

terry

Comment

• khp
          The Other
          • Nov 2001

Originally posted by TerryC
          for some strange reason, vcd/mpeg/mp3 files no longer play (no suitable player) in 8.0 (but did work in previous 7.3 release)
          Hey that IS pretty strange, I can't play mp3 files with any of the players that come with 8.0, either, don't know about mpeg/vcd files. The xmms media player should be able to play mp3 files, in fact my install assosiates mp3 files with this player. But I can't for the life of me, get the files to play in that player.

Perhaps some moron forgot to put mp3 support back in, after the mp3 licenseing scare. That's pretty much the only resonable explanation I can think of.

is there a way around this?
          When you have installed mplayer it should be able to play most of your files. Do you remember which player was used in version 7.3 ?
          Last edited by khp; 11 Oct 2002, 05:00 AM.

Comment

• khp
            The Other
            • Nov 2001

Yup it seems mp3 support was completly removed from redhat8.0, more info on this stuff at www.xmms.org

And if you don't want to recompile xmms yourself, you can get the rmps needed for mp3 playback at

Comment

• TerryC
              • Jul 2002

hey all,

thanks for all ya feedback on this. i got my MPlayer installed and i could play vcd discs now, haven't tried with divx files yet...i managed to compile (my first ever programming! ) the player and got up to the part where you need to install the font files & the GUI. i was stuck there and need some help from those of you who know how to go about it. i tried to follow the instruction but still to no avail.

i'm also desperate to install that mp3 plugin for xmms. comon, what am i gonna do with 700+ mp3? but all links for the file - xmms-mpg123-1.2.7-13.i386.rpm dont seem to work and got a plugin error message saying "An error occurred inside a plug-in contained on this page". any ideas? none of the links suggested worked. anyone got a working link somewhere?

thanks once again for the help.

terry

Comment

• khp
                The Other
                • Nov 2001

i got my MPlayer installed and i could play vcd discs now, haven't tried with divx files yet...i managed to compile (my first ever programming! ) the player and got up to the part where you need to install the font files & the GUI. i was stuck there and need some help from those of you who know how to go about it. i tried to follow the instruction but still to no avail.
                Did you run ./configure --enable-gui before running make and make install ?.
                You need to download a font pack and a skin pack from http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/ , unpack and copy the contents to the appropriate directories, as per the instructions in the README files.

i'm also desperate to install that mp3 plugin for xmms. comon, what am i gonna do with 700+ mp3? but all links for the file - xmms-mpg123-1.2.7-13.i386.rpm dont seem to work and got a plugin error message saying "An error occurred inside a plug-in contained on this page". any ideas? none of the links suggested worked. anyone got a working link somewhere?
                OK I didn't acctually use that myself, so I guess I should have know better than to recommend it to you.
                I would suggest that you download the 1.2.7 source from http://www.xmms.org/download.html and build it yourself. If you managed to build Mplayer, you should have no problems with xmms.
                Last edited by khp; 11 Oct 2002, 11:25 PM.

Comment

• TerryC
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by khp
                  [B]Did you run ./configure --enable-gui before running make and make install ?.
                  You need to download a font pack and a skin pack from http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/ , unpack and copy the contents to the appropriate directories, as per the instructions in the README files.

i didn't! stupid me! should have read it more carefully! shall i remove everything and re-compile it again? (whats the best way to remove any installed programs/components in linux? i have got the font & skin packs ready for use. the instructions did not mention this "./configure --enable..." command before typing "make install" and i guess that why i got stuck. it was nowhere to be found.

OK I didn't acctually use that myself, so I guess I should have know better than to recommend it to you.
                  I would suggest that you download the 1.2.7 source from http://www.xmms.org/download.html and build it yourself. If you managed to build Mplayer, you should have no problems with xmms.

as for the mp3 plug-in, i managed to download it at the end.

thanks again for your precious help.

terry
                  Last edited by TerryC; 13 Oct 2002, 02:03 AM.

Comment

• khp
                    The Other
                    • Nov 2001

shall i remove everything and re-compile it again? (whats the best way to remove any installed programs/components in linux? i have got the font & skin packs ready for use. the instructions did not mention this "./configure --enable..." command before typing "make install" and i guess that why i got stuck. it was nowhere to be found.
                    Yes you will have to recompile everything. But I don't think you need to uninstall anything, a fresh install should override any previous install.

I would suggest you run the following commands when standing in the ~/MPlayer-0.90pre8/ directory.

Code:
                    ./configure --enable-gui
                    make clean
                    make
                    make install
                    The command make clean will delete any previously compiled code, which then forces make to recompile everything.
                    When you have copied the font and skin packs to the correct directories you should then be able to run the gui version of mplayer using the command gmplayer.

Comment

• TerryC
                      • Jul 2002

hey khp,

i have installed xine (i think it's better than mplayer) and worked like a treat and played all file types (vcd/dvd/mp3/divx/avi) now.

many thanks for your help once again.

terry

linux | windows

Comment

Working...