Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boomer
    • Oct 2002

Unknown file format (DIVX) ????

I can usually play Divx movies thru M$ Media Player and/or BSplayer. Using hexedit there are various codecs. However, some won't play at all under WMP (Tries downloading codec and fails). BSplayer for the same movie gives the error message , unknown codec (DIVX). Have downloaded the codecs package from M$ and also divx 4.12. Still no luck. Any ideas??? (Running XP.)

Lost in codec jungle...
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

In order to determine which codec(s) you need for a particular .AVI, you should do the following:

1) Load the file into VirtualDub

2) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information"

3) Post (here) EVERYTHING you see (both video and audio information), or post a screen capture .jpg of the information box

Comment

• Ryu_Chile
      • Oct 2002

I have the same problem.
      Just opened the file with VirtualDub and the info is the pic.
      Hope you can help me...
      Attached Files

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

To Ryu_Chile

What you have, AT BEST, is 3 minutes and 12 seconds of video requiring the DivX v.5.02 video codec and an MP3 audio codec...

Comment

• Boomer
          • Oct 2002

Thanks for your suggestions. Virtualdub won't load the file either as it is looking for an "unknown decompressor DX50". I presume that is a divx 5. something. I wasn't that keen to download that because of all the reports of it interfering with your computer. It's not that desperate a problem, I was more interested in the tech side of it. Thanks

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

I wasn't that keen to download that because of all the reports of it interfering with your computer.
            If you are referring to the codec automatically (and forcibly) playing DivX 3.11 contents, there are solutions to that. In fact, there is a sticky thread in almost every section of this forum, with details on how to make DivX 5 codec keep to its own contents and DivX 3.11 getting to play 3.11-contents.

If you are talking about spywares, just get the free version (non-spyware) of the DivX 5 codec. You will be fine, as long as you don't do encodings and require the advanced MPEG-4 technologies only found in the paid or spyware versions.

Otherwise, I'm not aware of the codec having any other sort of interference with systems.

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

"Thanks for your suggestions."

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

Working...