Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hookey
    • Nov 2002

Fast forward with picture moving?

I am making educational movies in sign lagnguage. I use Premiere and make the film in quicktime for Windows. The best with this format, is that it is possible to fast forward with the picture "moving along" so I can see where on the file I am. In order to reduce filesize I tried DivX encoding and it works great, BUT it seems not possible to FF (or rew) with picture moving. Is this a fact and nothing that can be made to change it, or is there a way to solve this problem?
    Thanks in advance from Sweden!
    /Hookey
  • sneglen
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Oct 2002

The problem is the way the DivX codec handels the video.

When you make a DivX file you have keyframes and alpha frames, the keyframes is a full frame with all the information to make a full picture much like a Bitmap file or Jpg file. then you have the alpha frames these only contain the information needed for producing the next frame, that means it takes the information from the keyframe and sees what has moved and was is new, for instend you have a car moving from left to right, most of the car can be used again in the next frame, so the DivX codec says "this part of the picture(The car) moves from here to here", then there is the new background that appears because the cars revealed new stuff in the background it says "heres something new". This is great for saving space, but the problem is that it can only fastforward from a keyframe and then it has to calculate itself on to the frame you want it to show, then it has to say, for every frrame until it reaches yours, what happends on this frame and the next and the next and the next, thats why you can fastforward like in quicktime, and of course it gets worse the more alpha frames you have between the keyframes.

The only way to get around this is to make the keyfram interval shorter when you encoded the movies under "General Parameters" in DivX 5.02 where it says "Max Keyframe Interval" and out something like 25 or 12, but you should be aware that it increases the size of the final movie

If Nobody Bought Movies, Why Should They Continue To Make Them?

"Bull****" Neo To The Father Of The Matrix In Reloaded

Comment

• sneglen
      Platinum Member
      Platinum Member
      • Oct 2002

Just thought of this, if you are making small sized movies like 352x288 you can convert them to MPEG, and almost get the same effect as with quicktime
      If Nobody Bought Movies, Why Should They Continue To Make Them?

"Bull****" Neo To The Father Of The Matrix In Reloaded

Comment

Working...