Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • carson
    • Nov 2002

video cut off on top, sides, and bottom

this suddenly happened to all of hte movies in my divx collection. the image is zoomed in, and shifted so that only a small portion is visible in the media player. I am using windows media, but get the same problem with the divx playa. i uninstalled and reinstalled divx 3.11 and 4.02 several times, and usually the first divx movie i play after doing that works like it should, but after that first playback they revert back to the problem. If i open a movie in virtualdub, it displayed is correctly in the preview box. This is really aggrevating, if anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this problem, please let me know!
  • khp
    The Other
    • Nov 2001

You probably installed some DirectShow filter, which does this.
    I think FFDShow, DivxG400, and DVobsub can do something like this. In WMP6.4 select file->properties->advanced and look in the list of filters, if any of the filters I just mentioned shows up, select that and click properties, you should then be able to correct the problem.
    Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• carson
      • Nov 2002

windows media player 6.4 won't work on windows xp, will it? i looked in the file->properties and under all the tabs, but found nothing about filters. is there a simple way to just uninstall the filters ?

Comment

• khp
        The Other
        • Nov 2001

Originally posted by carson
        windows media player 6.4 won't work on windows xp, will it?
        Yes it does, it's just hiding, it's called mplayer2.exe, you should be able to find it by searching your C drive.

i looked in the file->properties and under all the tabs, but found nothing about filters.
        In later versions of WMP M$ has removed this feature from the player.

is there a simple way to just uninstall the filters ?
        Properly uninstalling DirectShow filters can sometimes be difficult, and not knowing which one is causeing problems does not make it any easier.

Comment

• carson
          • Nov 2002

ok, in filters i have:

Default DirectSound Device
          divx MPEG-4 DVD Video Decompressor
          MPEG Layer-3 Decoder
          Video Renderer

any ideas on what i should do now ?

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

None of those that you've listed should be the cause of your problem.

If you've recently installed any "codec pack" (Nimo, Tsunami, etc.), I'd suggest that you unistall it entirely and then reinstall ONLY the items you KNOW you need...
            Last edited by setarip; 3 Nov 2002, 06:48 AM.

Comment

• carson
              • Nov 2002

i previously installed nimo with the "decoder" program grouping, but it has been uninstalled since shortly after this problem happened. is it possible that uninstalling the codec pack didn't uninstall one of these things that is causing the problem ?

Comment

• khp
                The Other
                • Nov 2001

Try reinstalling the latest driver for your graphics card and DirectX8

Comment

• carson
                  • Nov 2002

tried both of those, neither fixed the problem. i really appreciate your help, but do you have any other ideas ?

Comment

• carson
                    • Nov 2002

when my computer comes back up after a reboot, the first movie i play plays back correctly, then every movie after that doesn't work, and if i open the first one again after playing a different one, it too gets the sides and top cut off. so strange. anyone have any other ideas ?

this is actually happening with mpg's too. even a drastic solution will be appreciated..ANYONE ?
                    Last edited by carson; 4 Nov 2002, 02:42 PM.

Comment

• heller44
                      • Feb 2003

you aren't alone with this problem, it has happened to me now as well.

can anyone help with this?

the only thing different is i am running divxg400 as well.

Comment

• Dr.Dos
                        • Feb 2003

For a real compliant and high quality MPEG-4 encoder checkout Envivio.com.
                        They have the best full line of MPEG-4 codecs available today!

Dr.Dos

Comment

• heller44
                          • Feb 2003

ok, after that last "informative" post there, i actually have a solution.

it was a setting in my nvidia advanced properties.

i don't know exactly, but i fiddled with a few things and it popped back ok. this is with the 42.86's.

this might not have pointed you to the exact answer, but at least know it is in there, not something else buggerizing around.

Comment

• digitaldick
                            • Feb 2003

more about that.....

Heller44- This is a solution? Where is it? Could you maybe followup with the details of just what steps you took to get your playback problem fixed. Like what settings did you fiddle with or maybe what do you have them set at now, since the problem is solved for you? I'd really appreciate it? Thanks.

<i actually have a solution.

it was a setting in my nvidia advanced properties.

i don't know exactly, but i fiddled with a few things and it popped back ok. this is with the 42.86's.

this might not have pointed you to the exact answer, but at least know it is in there, not something else buggerizing around.

be humble....be wise!

Comment

• rory
                              • Nov 2003

Found out what the problem is and how to fix it.

Open your display settings, go to settings, advanced. Find the tab titled "Geforce4" or something similar, usually the name of your nVidia card.

On the side menu that pops up, click on overlay controls, and then you'll notice something called zom control. Zoom out to adjust the video to where it should be. Click apply and all should be good.

Comment

Working...