Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JakFetch
    • Nov 2002

Help w/Playing Mov File in Media Player

Is there a codec or filter that allows you to playback *.mov files (i.e. Quicktime files) using Windows Media Player? Right now Win Media Player is the default app for playing those files on my computer, but it can never find the right set of codecs/filters to play the file. Thx for the help.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

As far as I know, Windows Media Player hasn't been capable (Microsoft chose not to directly support Apple's format any longer) of playing .MOV files for about three years now. Simply download and install the free version of the QuickTime player...

Comment

• JakFetch
      • Nov 2002

Hmm...the reason I ask is the QT seems to have 'problems' with large .mov files. Say, over 100 megs. It will take a really long time to open the file, and when it finally does the movie is already playing. The other pet peeve I have is the inability of .mov to go full screen as Media Player's .avi files do. If anyone can suggest a fix for those two issues, I'll gladly stick with QT.

Thanks for the info!

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"when it finally does the movie is already playing."

Simply click on the "Stop" button and go to the beginning and then press the "Play" button...

Comment

• JakFetch
          • Nov 2002

lol. Ok, yeah, I knew that. That's not the point though. It's the poor performance of the app that I was referring to. From that behavior, it seems like when you click play, the app is actually loading the file into memory and auto-plays, but it's not ready to display the information so it doesn't.

That's technical guessing, anyway.

Comment

• spujoe
            • Dec 2002

NO. Jakfetch, Apple left us with the herpes of mpeg formats.
            You must DL Quicktime to view .mov files
            Spujoe

Comment

• chickeneater
              Digital Video Expert
              Digital Video Expert
              • Apr 2002

.mov sucks! for your information, it is a terrible format...
              FFDShow filters
              Guliverkli's Media Player Classic

Comment

• Adrian747
                • Mar 2004

Playing .mov files with Windows Media Player

Playing a .mov file with Windows Media Player is easy - it can't do it. The .mov file is Apple Mac and never the twain shall meet. But here are a few other (all free) options;-

1. QuickTime Alternative 1.31
                From: http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail...fid=1049831315
                Small, simple, free and it works. Easy. Dougle click on a .mov file and it plays.

2. ACE Mega CoDecS Pack
                Download the ACE Mega CoDecS Pack, a collection of all the frequently used codecs and filters

See the warning on this one - the program loads a lot of codecs you may never need. Techies only. But it works fine.

3. Apple QuickTime 6.5
                Learn how to use QuickTime Player on your Mac to play, record, and edit movies or audio recordings.

There are the guys who made .mov files - but this program is very invasive and you never seem to be in charge when it's on your computer. Go with the Alternative program above.

Comment

Working...