X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whi55l
    • Jan 2002

Weird crackling sound during playback

Hey

I just ripped Star Wars Episode 2 and during playback theres like a weird crackling distortion sound when there is a big explosion?

Ive tried ripping it a couple of times now, with the same result every time.... Ive also tried playing it back across both DivX player, Bs player and Windows media Player all with the same result...

Anyone got any ideas? Would it be some sort of copy protection imbeded into the DVD?? or can is there another way to get rid of the sound?

oops, im also using Flaskmpeg and Divx 5.02 with 1 pass - Quality, MP3 192k/s

Thanks
    Last edited by whi55l; 25 Nov 2002, 05:55 PM.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Try installing and using a different .MP3 codec...

(I ripped and converted the NTSC version of the movie with no such sound distortion. I use the Radium [Fraunhoefer] .MP3 codec)

Comment

• whi55l
      • Jan 2002

Nup that didnt work mate....

I installed that Fraunhoefer mp3 codec, and it didnt do anything...

Its actually a weird rip, for some reason flaskmpeg was running a little ahead of itself... by that i mean, that at like 15 secs into the actual movie it had already ripped 3%??!? Instead of the time remaining reducing itself, it just gets longer and longer untill it has reached 100%... Also when it reached 100% it didnt give me any of the ending credits, 100% of the movie was reached just as the final credits were asposed to come onto the screen... I have double checked that ive got all the files from the DVD....

Im getting pissed off at the sound cause it sounds like it wants to rip my speakers apart no matter how soft or loud i have the volume... Out of the 80 odd DivX rips that ive done, this is the first time ive encountered such a problem...

Any help would be much appreciated

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

I just ripped Star Wars Episode 2 and during playback theres like a weird crackling distortion sound when there is a big explosion?
        This sounds like clipping, which occurs when the volume is amplified excessively. How did you obtain the audio, and by how much was it amplified or normalised?

I suggest you try Graphedit or Vob2audio to extract the audio, and check whether the resulting audio file suffers from the clipping or not. If it's all good, you can convert the file to MP3 and mux it with the AVI you have created with Flask.

Comment

• whi55l
          • Jan 2002

Ok i used Graphedit to rip the sound.... no probs there..

ive got a file now which is around 1.7 gig, so now what do i do with it... its in wav format... then how do i incorporate that file with the video?

Got any links to some guides?

Thanks again

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

Excellent. You have a few more steps to go:
            1. If, for some reason, the audio is not loud enough for you, use an audio editor, such as Cooledit, to amplify the WAV file. Take care not to overamplify so as to result in clipping.
            2. Convert the WAV file to MP3 using an MP3 encoder, such as LAME
            3. Mux the MP3 with the AVI you have created in Flask using nandub

Comment

• whi55l
              • Jan 2002

Is there anyway that i can modify the existing .avi file to get rid of the clipping distortion... The other way gave me audio which sucked, even at a rate of 192k/s

I think i would just rather modify my original rip from flaskmpeg..

Comment

• Enchanter
                Old member
                • Feb 2002

You could try loading up the video (with the clipped sound) in Virtualdub, lowering down the audio volume from under the Audio tab and saving it (use the Full Processing Mode). It's not guaranteed to work, but worth a try anyway.

Is there anyway that i can modify the existing .avi file to get rid of the clipping distortion... The other way gave me audio which sucked, even at a rate of 192k/s
                I don't get it. In what way does it suck? I've not had any instance when the audio ripped by Flask is better than that from Graphedit.

Comment

Working...