Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lupinpunch
    • Dec 2002

trouble with mpeg conversion, no luck!

first, some background. I have a mpg file that is not compliant with vcd standards. I first tried to use tmpgenc, but it will not allow the file to be opened (unsupported) or be edited with the merge/cut function (illegal mpeg video stream).

So I thought of encoding it into an AVI then back to mpeg using tmpgenc. I used mpeg2avi (all different versions, same result) and I get about 90% done and I get an error that reads like startcode error.

I am at my wits end trying to get it finished. I tried using the program by itself, with a GUI, no luck.

Is this a bad file that has no hope? Is there something else I can do? A program that may convert to a mov file or asf to get it to encode and use another program to get it to vcd specs?

Any help would give my brain a rest.

thanks

Brandon
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

1) Are you able to play the file?

2) Is it MPEG1, MPEG1-VCD, MPEG2, or MPEG2-SVCD format?

3) Is the version of TMPGEnc capable of handling MPEG2 or MPEG2-SVCD format?

Comment

• lupinpunch
      • Dec 2002

yes, I CAN play the file, I am not sure on the mpeg format, is there a program to check?

the tmpgenc is version 2.58.44

Comment

• dutcheese
        • Feb 2003

hi,

most likely it is video size or the audio throwing off the conversion.

i make my vcds from avi files with video at 320x240 and 44khz 16bit stereo audio. open your mpeg in media player right click the video area and select properties. this will tell you your video dimensions.

to convert to proper vcd format use virtualdub to open your mpeg..

Audio
        - Open the AVI file in Virtual Dub and click Audio, and make sure full processing mode is selected.
        - Then click Audio, compression, and select Microsoft ADPCM and click OK.
        - Then click Audio, conversion, and select 44100Hz, 16Bit, Stereo. You'll see what the audio is already encoded in and if one of the settings already matches one of the settings needed just select the no change option for that particular setting.

Video
        - click video and ensure full processing mode is selected.
        - click video, click compression and select Divx5.03 (get it if you don't have it) and leave the default settings.
        - click video, click filters, click add, click resize, and click ok.
        - new width is 320 new height is 240 and filter mode is bilinear, click ok and ok.

- Then select file, save AVI and give the file a new name.
        - Should take about 30 to make the new file.

I always use DVMPEG to convert my AVI to VCD mpeg as it is just too easy but it is not freeware. converts to VCD mpeg in about 50min.

then i build a VCD image from the mpeg file by using vcdimager.org. makes the image file in about 10min.

then i burn the cue image to cd with nero in about 5min.

hope this helps.

dutcheese

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

"I first tried to use tmpgenc, but it will not allow the file to be opened (unsupported) or be edited with the merge/cut function (illegal mpeg video stream)."

Have you downloaded and installed the REQUIRED VFAPI companion file for TMPGEnc?

Comment

Working...