Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mildew
    • Dec 2002

Playing Partially dl AVI files

I regularly dl (DivX) AVI movies only to find after lengthy dl the movie is different to what I expected (not the movie I thought I was dl) or is poor quality. Can someone explain how I can play a partially dl AVI file using either WMP 9 or Winamp 3 or other. The partially dl file shows up as a .dat file and won't play in its current format. This way I can check early in the dl and delete if of poor quality or the wrong one.

Thanks in advance.

mildew
  • icegod
    • Nov 2002

download virtuadub or nandub. make a copy of the partiallt downloaded file. give it the right extension(.avi/.mpg). Open the fie is virtua-/nandub. set the video to direct stream copy. got to file ---> save as AVI. now you can watch it in any player.

Comment

• gs0666
      Digital Video Technician
      Digital Video Technician
      • Nov 2001

You can also use DivFix for this task.
      Download DivFix, a software capable of fixing badly downloaded DivX movies

Rename the extension from .dat to .avi
      Open the .avi and hit Rebuild Index.

If you would like to resume the download, load the .avi in DivFix again and press Strip Index.Rename extension to .dat

Comment

• mildew
        • Dec 2002

Kewl

Couldn't get DivFix to work for some reason. Kept getting an error message and proggy freeze when trying to rebuild index. However, Virtuadub worked a treat and showed me I had a high quality copy of Star Wars Episode 1. Thanks heaps.

Comment

Working...