X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • springy
    • Jan 2003

quick codec question

Say that 3 times!

I've read through the posts and learned a bit about avi audio and problems users have found, but I still need to get some input...

1) Before a "codec pack" (Nimo, tsunami..) is installed, should all currently loaded codecs be uninstalled? And how is this done? Selectively?

2) Is one of the above mentioned packs better than the other?

3) On my lunch half-hour I d/l'd the Nimo Lite Pack, and ran the executable (said I was missing one .dll- MSVR70 maybe?). I quickly sampled an avi that was "missing" audio, only to find out it was still "missing."
    ****this missing audio is the problem I'm trying to resolve****
    Once a pack's exe is run, are the codecs instantly installed??

I need more than a half-hour lunch to play with the problem!!

Thanks much,
    Springy
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

1) Before a "codec pack" (Nimo, tsunami..) is installed, should all currently loaded codecs be uninstalled? And how is this done? Selectively?
    If you are installing a codec from the pack that you have already installed in the system, then do remove it. Otherwise, leave it well alone. As for removing it, your best hope is via the Add/Remove Programs option under the Control Panel.

2) Is one of the above mentioned packs better than the other?
    Not necessarily. From what I've gathered, the Tsunami codec pack is larger in size and hence should contain a larger choice of codecs (of course you don't really need to have all of them installed).

3) On my lunch half-hour I d/l'd the Nimo Lite Pack, and ran the executable (said I was missing one .dll- MSVR70 maybe?). I quickly sampled an avi that was "missing" audio, only to find out it was still "missing."
    To find out what codec you need, do the following:
    1. Open the file in Virtualdub
    2. Go to File -> File Information
    3. Post what information you see here

Once a pack's exe is run, are the codecs instantly installed??
    There should be an installation dialog coming up right after you run the executable file. Follow the instructions.

Comment

• springy
      • Jan 2003

Thanks for your time and advice-
      I will try these when I get home.
      I didnt get the instruction-prompt after running Nimo.exe, I will probably remove and (considering the .dll error received,) d/l Tsunami.
      But getting VirtualDub is first on the list, and I'll post the info when I get to it....
      Thanks!

Comment

Working...