Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • elzorno
    • Jan 2003

mpeg video problems

This is an odd question that I hope someone here can help with. I have recently downloaded a few files using using bearshare. The advertised length of these files are all at least 15min but when trying to play them in any player, the time is listed as 1 or 2 min. If you press play, the first minute will play and then the video stops. You can tell the whole movie is in the file because when you manualy slide the slider bar in the clip... It shows other parts of the clip.

It's frustrating to spend a long time downloading a 150meg video clip and know the whole clip is in the file... but only be able to see part of it.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? I have tried to open the files in video editing programs and everything, with no solution.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"I have tried to open the files in video editing programs and everything, with no solution."

What programs did you try?
    What SPECIFIC problems did you encounter (error messages, etc.) with each SPECIFIC program?

Comment

• elzorno
      • Jan 2003

I have tried to open the file in Windows Media 8 and 9, Premiere, Vegas Video 3.0 and Windows Movie Maker. There are no errors. Each Program loads the file without problem.

To explain the problem better I will use a specific example.

One file is 115 meg. It is advertised as being 15 minutes long. When you load it in Windows media player, the player reports it as being a 1min 10 sec clip. If allowed to play on its own it wil play the first 1:10 and then stop, however if you move the time line slider you can see that the whole 15 min movie is there. It seems to me like there is some type of time code issue that "confuses" the players into only seeing the first min or so.

Using this first file as an example... If you play it from the start when the time slider is 75% of the way through the clip you are just under one minute into the movie. If you were to manualy put the slider at 75% then the clip would start to play from a point about 12min into the movie, a point beyond where the player stops when trying to view the clip from the beginning.

I know this is probably a confusing problem. I have seen this happen many times with videos that I download from peer to peer networks.

I may end up having to find a small file that does the same thig so that you can see this for yourself

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"I have tried to open the file in Windows Media 8 and 9, Premiere, Vegas Video 3.0 and Windows Movie Maker. There are no errors. Each Program loads the file without problem."

After loading it into one of these programs, try simply resaving it with a new name...

Comment

• movmasty
          • Feb 2003

the old xing mpeg player will play them
          also ifilmeditor.

The problem, i think, depends from bad-joined mpg,
          know that each mpeg file has at the end 4 characters that marks the end of it,if you join mpegs without removing those characters, most video sw wont play beyond the first stop line.

some bad joining software like CamelMpgjoiner dont remove the end line, ifilmeditor, or webflix will do.

to get around this you could separate with ifilmeditor each part of the movie where it stops to play in wmplayer,
          and then rejoin the clips always with ifilmeditor.

Comment

• BobaFett_FBH
            • Jun 2004

I am having the same problem. I tried using ifilm editor...but it doesnt seem to work. I only have the trial and the company that makes it isnt available anymore. So I can't get the full version.

The file is 69 meg and says its 9 minutes and 36 seconds. It plays for about 46 seconds and then stops. But when I move the slider back and forth its like it jumps to different unseen sections of the video. Playing in Windows Media Player.

ifilm editor doesnt seem to work. Are there any other ways I can resolve this problem? I've even tried using editing software like Premiere and Vegas. I've even tried to use Final Cut on my Mac...it just doesnt seem to see the whole clip. Should I try to get an easier Mpeg editor?

Thanks.

Comment

• ggeige
              • Jul 2004

Try the bitcontrol MPEG-2 decoder

Hi

Perhaps, this codec helps:

If not, please let me know.

GG

Comment

• wksears
                • Aug 2004

Well?

Elzorno, did you ever find a fix for your problem?

I have the same exact issue playing some videos back. At about 1 minute (usually) the video stops. The time slider thinks the video is only one minute long, but really it's much longer. Sometimes if I just let it keep going after one minute, so time later (30 seconds later? 2 minutes later?) the video seems to "Catch up" (playback really fast) to catch up with the audio. But then after a few seconds, it stops again.

Comment

• gaijingohan
                  • Aug 2004

What did you do to fix

I also have the same problem as the two guys. I have certain mpeg files that will not play the whole time limit only maybe 30-40 seconds then quit even though the files are over ten minutes. I have downloaded just about everything I can think of to fix it. MP9,DIVX,quicktime, winamp. They all do the same thing if I play those files I have also downloaded the updated codecs. I get no error messages so what did you or anybody do to fix this kind of problem

Comment

• ormonde
                    Digital Video Explorer
                    • Dec 2003

"I have certain mpeg files that will not play the whole time limit only maybe 30-40 seconds then quit"

Most likely they are "Fake" files or they are corrupt.

Comment

• peer
                      • Mar 2005

I also have the same problem & it isn't the file because the same file works fine with an older windows 98 machine. I 'm beginning to think it's to do with XP service pack 2. Any thoughts?

Pete

Comment

• ormonde
                        Digital Video Explorer
                        • Dec 2003

"I 'm beginning to think it's to do with XP service pack 2. Any thoughts?"

The information contained in the following thread may be of some help:

Talk about DVD authoring and editing, including support tools such as PgcEdit, MenuShrink...

Comment

• d2crawfo
                          • Apr 2005

Whoever has been wondering about video files that have messed up timelines. Saying the video is 2 minutes long, when actualy it is 150MB and about 20 minutes. I've run into this problem on several occassions, and have just found the perfect solution. Use the program: "Ashampoo Shrink and Burn 2", and "compress" the file for playback in a DVD player, and it will correct the problem, so it can be viewed in Windows media player with the correct timeline. Also afterwards the files can be burned to a regular CD-R and played on most DVD players.

Adios

Comment

• abogart
                            • Jul 2006

Bump

This is a pretty old post, but I'm having these issues currently. What exactly is the problem here? These clips used to work, and now they just don't. I think it's actually a codec that is the problem, since this OS and patch level used to play these clips and now a 25 minute clip shows a time of 30 seconds. Crazy!! Anyone - solution?

thanks

Comment

• anonymez
                              Super Moderator
                              • Mar 2004

if these files used to work i'm thinking it's your mpeg splitter-- use a decent player like media player classic. has an internal splitter, should play just fine

that or you could run the files through projectX.
                              "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

Working...