X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xvidnewbie
    • Jan 2003

xvid playback

Hello,

I am new to this forum. I have seen other postings to try to get some tips, however I still do not understand why I cannot play xvid videos.

When I play an xvid video, the scenes mesh in together as well as the colors.

I have installed the Nimo codecs pack 5. The video does not play with the Divx-Pro player nor does it play with Windows media Player.

I believe I have installed the xvid codec.

My questions are

1. How do I tell if the xvid codec is installed?

2. Is there a step by step guide somewhere I can read on how to ensure a system has everything correctly configured to play xvid videos?

Thank you!
  • pythonmaxspliv
    • Feb 2003

Try this...

This info relates to playing Xvid on Windows Media Player. Click on the link I'm providing and install this codec: http://www.roeder.goe.net/~koepi/xvid.shtml Enjoy!
    Last edited by pythonmaxspliv; 4 Feb 2003, 09:15 AM.

Comment

• jack_d12
      • Feb 2003

installed codec???

i'ved installed codec from that link that u provided and i still can't play my xvid movie ??? i've used wmp9 and zoomplayer .... i've installed all the codecs i could find and it still wouldn't play ... can somebody help me out ??

Comment

• gs0666
        Digital Video Technician
        Digital Video Technician
        • Nov 2001

To : jack_d12

Have you tried the more reliable WMP 6.4(Start->Run->mplayer2.exe)?
        Also try the latest Tsunami Codec Pack.

Comment

• The Edge
          Digital Video Expert
          Digital Video Expert
          • Jan 2003

You could also try FFDshow.
          FFDSHOW is a DirectShow decoding filter for decompressing DivX, XviD, WMV, MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 movies. It's great IMHO. FFDSHOW consumes way less CPU power than original DivX codecs, even with maximum post-processing. At the same time the post-processing seems to give excellent quality results and allows more configuring than the original DivX 3/4/5 codec. It can even automaticly reduce post-processing if your CPU is getting overloaded. Give it a try

FFDshow

Edge
          "…I know the industry is formally opposed to that kind of thing [bootlegging] but I'm not. I don't have a problem with it at all." -- Paul McGuiness"

Comment

• jack_d12
            • Feb 2003

tried ...

yeah i tried wmp 6.4 and i also downloaded ffdshow don't know what it does but i downloaded it ... it's not a player or anything ....

Comment

• Enchanter
              Old member
              • Feb 2002

Re: tried ...

Originally posted by jack_d12
              yeah i tried wmp 6.4 and i also downloaded ffdshow don't know what it does but i downloaded it ... it's not a player or anything ....
              After installation, go to the Start menu -> Programs -> FFDShow -> Configuration.

Under codecs, set it to play the types of AVI as you desire. Under Post-processing, set the post-processing settings as you desire.

Comment

• jack_d12
                • Feb 2003

did that and it still doesn't work ... wmp gives message saying it encounter a problem ... wmp 6.4 says classfactory cannot supply class ....

Comment

• The Edge
                  Digital Video Expert
                  Digital Video Expert
                  • Jan 2003

wmp 6.4 says classfactory cannot supply class ....
                  Sounds like your avi is corrupt (downloaded?). Try opening it in Nandub instead.

File/Open....tick "Popup exteneded options" and tick "Redrive Keyframe Flags" and open your avi.

This might take some time but when it's open, set video to direct stream copy and save the avi under a different filename.
                  Try again.

Edge
                  "…I know the industry is formally opposed to that kind of thing [bootlegging] but I'm not. I don't have a problem with it at all." -- Paul McGuiness"

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

To xvidnewbie

"1. How do I tell if the xvid codec is installed?"

A simple way is to open VirtualDub
                    From the "Video" dropdown menu, select "Compression"
                    Scroll through the list of codecs - These are definitely installed on your system

(Edited only for a typo)
                    Last edited by setarip; 5 Feb 2003, 11:33 AM.

Comment

• jack_d12
                      • Feb 2003

found it there but i guess the file is corrupted ... but i can't install namdub ... it says i'm missing some vorbis.dll

Comment

• movmasty
                        • Feb 2003

divxfix will reconstruct index very faster than virtualdub,

but for xvid there is not ,still, a tool to fix corrupted parts like the divx defreezer

Comment

• jack_d12
                          • Feb 2003

ahh ... so that's why divfix ain't working on my file .... ok ok thanks again ... btw i tried using virtual dub to fix it but it would get stuck part of the way ... i extracted the audio and was thinking i'd decode the .avi file into divx 5.0 using virtual dub then using tmpenc to change it into vcd format but the process didn't work ...

Comment

• jack_d12
                            • Feb 2003

xvid ??

why do people even encode in xvid ?? the quality isn't even better then divx ??

Comment

• Enchanter
                              Old member
                              • Feb 2002

Re: xvid ??

Originally posted by jack_d12
                              why do people even encode in xvid ?? the quality isn't even better then divx ??
                              Not everyone thinks the same like you.

I personally like XviD and have lately been encoding using that codec. It's looking as good as DivX or better (won't say definitely better since that will attract a flame war), and is far mre configurable (this is definitely true). I haven't had any problems playing XviD contents across a number of systems either.

That said, it's just your luck that your copy of XviD-compressed AVI is corrupt. The same thing could happen with any other video files, so don't simply blame XviD for this.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...