Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hslipf
    • Feb 2003

locating, identifing & loading codecs

i thought i would post this (feel free 2delete if inappropriate) here bcuz i had trouble w/ it & w/ sum guidence from u all & others it isnt so bad......

after realizin divx/xvid/avi all require appropriate & different codecs 2b installed to play the audio-video of the above files, but sum work against others, & things can get worst if u just install everything u can find. but there is a solution that worked 4me:
    1. get the Nimo & Tsunami bundled packs
    2. go2 Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
    2a. Double-click Multimedia, click the Devices tab (Advanced tab in Windows 95), and then double-click Audio Compression Codec or Video Compression Codec to expand the branch.
    3. view or write down what u have then start 1of the bundled packs & add a 'couple' of the things u don't. b sure not 2double up (ie things w/ similar names)
    4. attempt 2load the file in the player of yer choice (sum r better than others)
    5. if it runs w/ A&V gr8! if not go back, delete the codecs u just loaded & try sum others & so on until it works

after sum time & a couple differently compressed files u should b able 2hit on a combination that will play most everythin & not crash yer pc or "illegal operation" yer programs.

again thx 2 all who helped me thru this, theres not a movie file out there that scares me now.
  • chickeneater
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Apr 2002

"theres not a movie file out there that scares me now. "

unless it is a really scary movie like Jaws... Or a fake file that some loser put out there
    FFDShow filters
    Guliverkli's Media Player Classic

Comment

• hslipf
      • Feb 2003

yeh thatd probably do it, im the moron whod pull his pc apart thinkin a fake file should play.........

Comment

• chickeneater
        Digital Video Expert
        Digital Video Expert
        • Apr 2002

no, i think you misunderstood me. I meant if someone over p2p puts a fake file out that confuses people like me or you, or anyone, the poster of the fake file is a loser. Not you or me or anyone that tries to make the file work...

FFDShow filters

Comment

• hslipf
          • Feb 2003

yeh i dig ya man, im still the guy whod pull my pc apart tho

Comment

• chickeneater
            Digital Video Expert
            Digital Video Expert
            • Apr 2002

i would too
            FFDShow filters

Comment

• digitaldick
              • Feb 2003

more about that.....

Hi. I am also in the process of pulling things apart trying to get a movie to play. I realize that I am late to this thread but if possible could you ( or anyone) explain your Step 3 a little more?
              < 3. view or write down what u have then start 1of the bundled packs & add a 'couple' of the things u don't. b sure not 2double up (ie things w/ similar names) >

I'm particularly stumped by what you mean by "start 1 of the bundled packs and "add" a couple of the things u don't. Don't what?
              Thanks for the help. I'm hopeful that if I learn enough I can eventually figure out why this movie will not play.
              be humble....be wise!

Comment

• hslipf
                • Feb 2003

when u run the packs (always choose custom if pos) itll give u a choice as2 what ud like 2 install pick a couple items u dont have in the catagory yer havin trouble w/ (ie. video, if u have sound only) & keep this up till u find the lusive combination........
                remember 2delete stuff that now no doesnt help unless u no its needed 4others (it helps 2start from scatch)......

aslo my man chicken(if u read this) i got 1 that scares me, if yer in2 it ill give ya an L/P 4my site if u want alook

Comment

Working...