Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bleach
    • Jan 2002

playback on a 500mhz

has anyone ever had problems on a 500mhz? i've got an AMD K6-2 500, 285mb of ram, and a geforce 2 MX, but divxs are still skipping and can't keep up with their fps, i know several people with 400, 433, and 450mhz's that can playback everything perfectly, any ideas about my problem? this isn't an os issue either, i've tried divx in 98/ME/2k/linux
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Are you playing back from your hard drive or CD?

Comment

• bleach
      • Jan 2002

hard drive, dma mode is on too

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

Try setting your desktop to a lower resolution and/or color depth.

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• bleach
          • Jan 2002

i've tried that, doesn't help

Comment

• Thrawn
            • Jan 2002

not all avis work fine with windows media player (especially that one, that have been editet and/or mp3-audio-coded)

Try using "The Playa" which should be installed along with Divx4
            The Grandadmiral was here!

Comment

• bleach
              • Jan 2002

i've tried just about all of them, gdivx, the playa, bsplayer, media player 6.4, 7.0, windvd, powerdvd. media player 6.4 can't keep up, but i get the best fps in 6.4. my only problem is during fast motion scenes too, if there's nothing exciting going on on screen the fps's are right on target, but the minute there's fast movement or a fast motion scene the fps completely drops, dunno if that helps

Comment

• abdul
                • Jan 2002

In WM-Player 6.4 try the following:

During playback rightclick in the movie
                properties ---> advanced ---> highlight Divx MPEG and choose properties and set the cpu quality to 0.

There is one little player you can still try.................radlight player; it doesn't consume the same amount of processorpower as WM-Player (on the other hand neither does BS-Player and you have tried that one)

Be sure to close all applications .............also the ones running in the background
                you know ..............Ctrl + Alt + Del...........and close everything except explorer and systray

Good luck

Comment

• I2Six
                  • Feb 2002

I have a 500MHZ machine i have been using since i started doing DivX conversions. I have done many different conversions using several methods. Playback is awesome with the last 2 I have done. I have a 64MB ATI Radeon and 640MB of RAM. I do however play the same movies on my wifes computer which is only a 400MHz Celeron and onboard video and it still is quite impressive. These were done using the 2-pass method. It takes along time to do but I think its worth it. Hope this helps. I26

Comment

• Batman
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Jan 2002

I've got an old system a P200. I can't play movies, but to play low quality divx clips I scale down the resolution to the minimum (640x320). I have tested many video players. I currently use the yeah player, it seems to work well with divx. GDIVX is also good but its bugged and contains spyware. BSplay, Radlight, and aren't good.

Comment

Working...