Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • adrienne
    • Feb 2003

Please Help! Can't play anything!!

Hi there... I downloaded kazaa a few days ago, and it was great for a little while. I have a very old toshiba satellite 330 CDT.. I dl'd WinMedia Player and Divx Player 2.0 and Quicktime... So, for a day or two, my files played fine.. on all 3.. Then Media player would have an error message every time I would try to play anything.. Then quick time would say that the required compressor couldn't be found.. or some other error message.. then all I had left was my divx player.. It worked fine for a little while, but 2 days ago, it started doing this weird thing where the audio would play fine, then the video would jump frame to frame, and way behind the audio... So, I got rid of kazaa, I thought that that was the problem.. and I downloaded Winmx. I'm in the middle of downloading 2 files and I can't wait to play them, but I have a feeling that it's going to be the same thing. Do you think that it's my laptop that's a little screwy? I'm buying a new desktop and it should be here on tuesday, but until then I really want to watch my videos.. I would just rent them.. but these are the episodes from the 1, 2 and 3rd season of my favorite show and I can't find them anywhere.. Please help. I uninstalled quicktime because I couldn't figure out how to change it from being my default player.. should I reinstall it? Or something else? I don't know a ton about computers either, so if you have any ideas, you could maybe dumb down the terms a little. Thanks so much.. anxiously waiting
  • adrienne
    • Feb 2003

p.s: this is what happens in media player.. I get an error message that says: This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.. then I click on details, and it says:WMPLAYER executed an invalid instruction in
    module DIVXDEC.AX at 0167:1c403191.
    Registers:
    EAX=ffffffff CS=0167 EIP=1c403191 EFLGS=00010286
    EBX=35684398 SS=016f ESP=093af340 EBP=093af374
    ECX=00000001 DS=016f ESI=35684399 FS=60cf
    EDX=00000000 ES=016f EDI=1c46e1d9 GS=0000
    Bytes at CS:EIP:
    0f 44 d1 8b c2 5e 5f c3 90 8d b4 26 00 00 00 00
    Stack dump:
    00000001 1c46e680 1c402d92 35684398 1c46e1d8 007f83d4 1c46e680 00000001 35684398 093af354 093affbc 1c451094 00000000 007f8290 1c449c7f 007f8290

I'm not sure if this is just gibberish.. or if it means anything..

Comment

• chickeneater
      Digital Video Expert
      Digital Video Expert
      • Apr 2002

no, that is not gibberish, but a simple, yet at sometimes very compilcated language. EDIT: That I don't know much about, anyway I can't read it...

you could play files in the trusty wmp6.4
      start-->run--> mplayer2.exe

also, you can turn off any unnecesary programs, like doing a ctrl+alt+del.
      It may be because you are overtaxing your system.
      FFDShow filters
      Guliverkli's Media Player Classic

Comment

• adrienne
        • Feb 2003

Won't it be the same problem as winmedia player 7?

Comment

• adrienne
          • Feb 2003

still isn't working...

I'm totally lost here... I uninstalled winmedia player 7.. and quick time and only kept divxplayer.. which works ok.. but only plays avi. and not mpg. files... I still get error messages when I try to play with winmedia player 6.4... what do you think that this means? Do you think that my laptop is just really messed up? I was thinking about installing realplayer .. one of the oldest versions.. but I'm not sure that would make it any better. ..... BTW, this is the message I get: nMPLAYER2 executed an invalid instruction in
          module DIVXDEC.AX at 0167:1c403181... the rest is the same as my other usual message that I posted earlier.. please help

Comment

• digitaldick
            • Feb 2003

more about that.....

Hi adrienne- Came in to your thread here a little late but was curious to learn how you are doing?
            I can relate, having had my share of problems playing video but your problem with DIVXDEC.AX is unique! I checked at the Microsoft Product Support Services website for something posted about Windows Media Player and invalid instructions and DIVXDEC.AX and came away empty. IMHO, you may have some sort of conflict running both WMP and divx codecs. That understates the problem considerably, I know, but to troubleshoot such an issue can get tricky and very time consuming.
            I think I would start over again by uninstalling the Divx Player and then trying to play any avi movie that you have that you know is a good file by using your WMP. I would follow Chickeneater's advice about shutting down all open programs before doing this, including any anti-virus, anti-adware, anti-spyware, etc. stuff. In fact, a fresh restart of your Windows O/S is a good idea too, IMHO.
            Now, if the movie plays properly then you know that you have the computer properly configured to play at least 1 avi file, and that is a good thing! If not, then you should get an error message from WMP and you can post it here for response by other WMP users. Hopefully it will be an error message that is "usual" and not the one you got already.
            You can also post to the WMP Newsgroup. If you do, be certain to include all your system specs, including and especially your video card specs, because it is very possible that the conflict is not with WMP and Divx codecs but with your video drivers. You could also do a DXDIAG to check out your DirectX set up and also check for any conflicts in the Windows Device Manager.
            I would NOT install the Real Player or any other media player or any codecs until you can play at least 1 avi on WMP.
            You should also try and play an mpg movie on WMP. Again, if it plays, great, you are configured properly! If not, you should get an error message and it may be the same message you got before or it may be different. Be prepared to post that message too.
            Here is the link to the Newsgroup. Be advised. Solving this kind of problem can get detailed. Most people just reformat and start over! Good luck and please post back with some followup, good or bad.

be humble....be wise!

Comment

• chickeneater
              Digital Video Expert
              Digital Video Expert
              • Apr 2002

regsvr32 /u Divxdec.ax try this command at the run prompt. or go to the win-->system32 folder and sort all of the files by the name and look for divxdec and delete it( or remove it from the sys32 folder to be safe). If you have the nimo pack, uninstall it, and get the tsunami 397 pack. I had a similar problem like thins.
              FFDShow filters
              Guliverkli's Media Player Classic

Comment

• Enchanter
                Old member
                • Feb 2002

"DIVXDEC.AX"

Seems like the DivX 5.x decoder version that you have in the system is "screwy." Reinstall the DivX codec or use FFDShow instead to decode DivX contents.

Comment

Working...