• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sneglen
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Oct 2002

Windows Blue screen when playing DivX/Xvid

I have a quite annoying problem, whenever I try to play DivX/Xvid movies my computer comes up with an error and the REALLY!!!! annoying blue screen pops up. It have never done this before, I intalled a new HD in my computer, can this be the cause for the error???

I first though it was because I upgraded my drivers so I installed the old ones again, with no effect.

My spec are:

1333 Amd Thunderbird
    512Mb of SDRam
    Ati Radeon 9000Pro with 64Mb of DDRram

I'm running Windows ME, I have the possibility to upgrade to XP, but my Pinnacle PCTV Rave capture card doesn't work correctly with that OS, it cannot capture in any size over 352x288 and under ME it can caputer in 768x576, if anybody knows of a driver that can be used under XP to make it capture in high resolution please let me know!!! and it doesn't help to deselect overlay and/or preview, it simply won't accept any resolution over 352x288

Can anybody help me???

If Nobody Bought Movies, Why Should They Continue To Make Them?

"Bull****" Neo To The Father Of The Matrix In Reloaded
  • sneglen
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Oct 2002

I should add that it plays a bit of the film, it vary from 20 seconds to an hour or so???

Comment

• khp
      The Other
      • Nov 2001

Re: Windows Blue screen when playing DivX/Xvid

Originally posted by sneglen
      I intalled a new HD in my computer, can this be the cause for the error???
      Some sort of hardware problem would be the most likely cause. It could be anything, CPU, Ram, MotherBoard or graphics card... The problem might even be an underpowered Powersupply. Even a 300W psp might not be enough if you stack on enough harddisks and addon PCI cards.

If the harddisk is your most recent addition that would be a good place to start looking.
      As a simple test, you could try to copy some large files from one HD to another.
      But to be sure you should of course try disconnecting the HD.

How is the HD connected ?, do you have another device connected to the same cable as the HD, if so what kind of device ?, and do you connect the HD as master or slave, or cable select ?. and is your HD using UDMA or PIO mode ?
      Last edited by khp; 1 Mar 2003, 07:09 AM.
      Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
      http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• sneglen
        Platinum Member
        Platinum Member
        • Oct 2002

The HD's are connectet togheter as Master and slave. The HD is Master and the Old i Slave. The thing is that the new HD is 7200RPM while the old is only 5400RPM so I am running Windows from the new. They are both ATA133. I havn't tried to different ATA connectors and make my DVD drive and Burner be Slaves to the HD's I think I will try that.

When your talking about copying a big file from HD to HD, should it also go to blue screen there if something is wrong???

Comment

• khp
          The Other
          • Nov 2001

Originally posted by sneglen
          When your talking about copying a big file from HD to HD, should it also go to blue screen there if something is wrong???
          If the HD is the cause of the problem, one would suspect that copying large files would also cause problems. But it's by no means a definetive test.

If your OS is installed on the new HD, you might want to try disconnecting the old one. If the problem is caused by a conflict between the HD's or the powersupply is underpowered, this might solve the problem.
          Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
          http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• SKD_Tech
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Jan 2003

Also what you could do if you wanted to install XP is split your existing partition into 2 parts. I think that involves Reformatting though unless you could stick XP on your new HD. That way if you need to capture something just use ME and for regular use you can use XP. I think that would work

Comment

Working...