Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dvdu
    • Mar 2003

Digital Video Too Grainy in Full Screen

In full screen, displaying a digital video stream that I have downloaded from my digital video camera using 1394 cable is too grainy with annoying digital artifacts, especially, when the camera pans. I don't see these effects when I watch a commercial DVD on my computer. I have tried both raw avi and MPEGII files. Both have visible blurring effects when enlarged.

Here is list of my equipment:
    Canon ZR45 (490,000 pixels)
    ATI Radean 8500DV
    Windows 2000, 1GHZ+, 500MB, etc.
    BSPlayer (also MS Media Player)

I was hoping for a relatively (compared to analog) high definition video using all digital equipment (at least comparable to DVD quality). Is this the state of the art in home digital video photgraphy or there is something in the pipeline that I am not doing right?
  • ferdymania

hi dvdu
    have you tried monitoring your footage back through your
    firewire cable to your camera. I always watch any footage playing through a monitor attached to my DV camera from my AV output..
    I think the computer cannot process full-screen DV format..
    unless you have a super-computer maybe..
    some people use dual head video cards and send the video from the second output to a video monitor..
    old amiga monitors are the best for monitoring video..
    hope that helps
    steve

Comment

• dvdu
      • Mar 2003

Hi Steve,

I understand what you are saying about dual port video cards. Perhaps I should have invested in a computer monitor with digital port. What I don't understand is why my computer and monitor are fully capable of displaying a high resolution dvd content, but unable to display my DV file with the same quality (using the same file player). I have tried AV display (using RCA connectors). The picture is a bit soft and a bit grainy.

I am not sure how to stream DV back to my digital camera with Firewire. I imagine that would be equivalent of display DV file with a digital display.

What was this think about PC taking over the entertainment center of home

Comment

• ferdymania

hi dvdu
        DV format is much bigger than DVD which is mpeg2 i thingk ??
        I am not too sure about the size of dvd but i know that VCD is only 384 X 299 resolution.. and mpeg1 and only about 1100 kb per second..
        DV is 768 X 576 resolution(sic) and is pretty mega good quality..( it may be 3.4 megabytes per second)...
        i have not seen DVD so i dont know.. go to dvdrhelp.com to find the specs for DVD..
        `
        ithink computers cant handle full broadcast quality video
        .ie. DV format , IMHO
        `
        as for monitoring out through camera , on my sony i select "AV Out" on my camera in the menu, and you should have an AV lead ( a minijack at one end and 3 RCA's at the other , yellow red black..)
        and plug that into a TV/monitor and you should be able to see what is playing on the computer..
        but i dont know your canon camera...
        see y a
        steve

Comment

Working...