Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • moviezdude
    • Feb 2003

miniDVD from aVI

I looked at the gude on doom9 and searched the forum, but I couldn't find this. How do you do it in TMPGEnc? It says to use DVD2AVI to create a project, but I don;t have original VOB's. What do I do? Can you play it on any standalone dvd player like a normal dvd? Can you encode AC3's in it and will they play?
  • alcskid
    Movie Lovers
    • Jan 2003

Well if you don't have the original VOB files, then you can not do this project. Unless you had 6 mono audio files that can be merge into one streaming AC3 audio. This can be done using Windows Media Encoder 9. Actually I had complete guide to do it from the latest CHIP magazine at my country.

Yes you can playback that AC3 streaming sound from your PC (You must have sound card that support AC3 5.1 sound system). But you cannot playback AVI with AC3 streaming on ordinary DVD player standalone ! There is only 1 player that had such capability (Playback AVI with AC3 streaming) : Kiss DVD player from Kiss technology (Had a very close relation with DivX format founder).

...My Foot Print...

Comment

• moviezdude
      • Feb 2003

So what's the point of encoding a minidvd if it won't work with AVI?
      What is reccomended to use inthe way of audio encoding? PCM?
      I thought DVD's used AC3 Audio ON THE DVD!? Can u playback a minidvd on an ordinary player? And why can't you just make a stereo AC3? or duplicate the same stereo tracks 5 times and muplex?
      IS there a way to just select the AVI instead of the DVD2AVI project in TMPGENC? Well, will it work?

Comment

• alcskid
        Movie Lovers
        • Jan 2003

That's true DVD used AC3 (6 Channel audio) but it used MPEG layer 2 Compression for it's video and Audio. Meanwhile in miniDVD project use MPEG layer 4 Compression (The modification become DivX, and XviD). All DVD player only had MPEG layer 2 decoder chip. This what ordinary player can not decode MPEG layer 4. Meanwhile Kiss DVD player had been equipment with MPEG layer 4 decoder chip from Sigma Design.

MPEG layer 4 compression produce smaller file compare to MPEG layer 2. This why they called Mini. Meanwhile the content was still the same resolution video and Audio AC3 (6 channel) from original DVD disc (This why you need original VOB file). And this called miniDVD which fit on 1 CD-R blank (700 MB) for 1 full length DVD movie.
        ...My Foot Print...

Comment

• moviezdude
          • Feb 2003

Hmm reallly sorry if I was vague, but I want to take an AVIi encoded in whatever,encode it tp MPEG-2, and burn it to a miniDVD. Is it possible?

Comment

• alcskid
            Movie Lovers
            • Jan 2003

First Description about miniDVD :
            This is no STANDARD as VCD,SVCD or DVD.
            miniDVD is basicly a DVD but on a CD-R(W) instead of a DVD disc. miniDVD is also sometimes called cDVD. A miniDVD does only fit about 15 minutes video on a 650 MB CD-R(W).
            What's DVD then? read on the http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvd.htm page.
            Why doesn't miniDVD work on a standalone player?
            The DVD Player must be able to identify the CD-R/W miniDVD as a ordinary DVD-Video disc, many players identifies CD-R/W as VCD, SVCD or CD Audio and not DVD-Video.
            and/or
            the high bitrate on DVD requires the CD-R/W reader in the DVD player to support at least 8x CD-R/W reading speed, and most DVD Players support only a maximum of 2x.
            A miniDVD can be played on
            - Not many DVD Players, check http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers.php for compatibility
            - On all computers with a DVD-ROMs with a software DVD Player.
            The complete tools and techniques can be found at http://www.dvdrhelp.com/minidvd.htm

There is another description for miniDVD :

Second Description :

minidvd (DivX with MicroDVD format). But it also can not be playback at the ordinary VCD or DVD player. Only Kiss Player can.
            On all computers with CD-ROM can be playbeck.
            Simple tool for the second description conversion can be grab at :
            Download DvD to miniDvD, a DVD to DivX with MicroDVD format conversion tool

So I need to know which one do you want to do (First or second) ?
            ...My Foot Print...

Comment

• moviezdude
              • Feb 2003

Thx

Thx for the info, I was thinking of converting people's tapes to miniDVD for $$$. I guess it doesn't work that well, and S/VCD isn't supported by my dvd player
              Thanks anyway!

Comment

Working...