X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SushiMaan44
    • Mar 2003

video flickers;choppy playback

Hi,

I aplogize in advance if someone has already posted this question.

I'm relatively new to xvid. I have some files that are encoded in xvid format with 5.1 AC3 audio, and when I try playing the file with bsplayer (or any player for that matter), the video playback is choppy, with a kind of flickering playback, reminiscent of a strobe light. I've tried both koepi's and Nic's binaries, but i seem to get the same problem regardless of whose binary i use. Any suggestions?

I have a Sony VAIO RX 580 with an Nvidia Riva TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro, 1.79 GHZ and 512 MB RAM, if that helps.

On a side note, when I use FDDshow in conjunction with BS player, i get the same flickering effect with divx files if FDDshow is assigned to Divx 3/4/5 files. Playback for divx files is restored if i don't have FDDshow assigned to the Divx codecs. What's the deal with that?

I'd greatly appreciate anyone's help!
  • Batman
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2002

Using the FFDSHOW back filter for xvid playback does not solve your problem?

Have you tried changing the fourcc code of the xvid file to dx50?

Comment

• SushiMaan44
      • Mar 2003

where and how do i do that? <------ newbie

Comment

• Batman
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Jan 2002

For detailed instructions search this forum:

I don' t know is this will work (first back up the file) and using avi4cc changer change the fourcc codec description/used to dx50 or divx.

Comment

• SushiMaan44
          • Mar 2003

"avi4cc changer change the fourcc codec description/used to dx50 or divx" <----- Would I use virtual dub to do this, and should i resave the file?

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

Originally posted by SushiMaan44
            "avi4cc changer change the fourcc codec description/used to dx50 or divx" <----- Would I use virtual dub to do this, and should i resave the file?
            Use a FourCC Changer.

There is actually no need to backup the file when you are changing the FourCC code only. Should the FourCC code you choose for the file does not work, you can change it back to the original.

Comment

• SushiMaan44
              • Mar 2003

It works!!!

Oh my God... it actually works... Thanks so much you guys!

But, I have a number of questions...

1) how is it possible to be able to use a normal divx codec to play a file ENCODED in xvid, a different format? Shouldn't that be technically impossible since the encoding is different?

2) I noticed that there was a big difference depending on if i changed the 4cc to "divx" or "dx50." With dx50, the flickering effect stopped, but then random green tints would appear on the video, accompanied by fragmentation and a certain kind of a "bleeding" effect of the video as playback continued.

BUT, when I entered "divx" in the FourCC changer instead, the file played back PERFECTLY, no strobe-light skips, no bleeding video, no fragmentation... I checked with Gspot later and found that my comp was using a divx4 codec for playback... does switching the 4cc to "divx" allow the computer to make up its mind to choose the best codec to play back in?

****Please keep in mind I'm an extreme "newbie" to all of this, and don't actually know anything about encoding, or ripping from a dvd... (i just enjoy playing movies)... but I'd like to start here and learn.****

Thank you very much to you all who have helped.

Comment

• Enchanter
                Old member
                • Feb 2002

Re: It works!!!

Originally posted by SushiMaan44
                1) how is it possible to be able to use a normal divx codec to play a file ENCODED in xvid, a different format? Shouldn't that be technically impossible since the encoding is different?
                In a limited way, the DivX decoder can decode XviD contents. However, as far as I have found out, XviD encoded with non-DiX5-compliant B-frames, as well as certain matrices, will not play properly when decoded with the DivX5 decoder.

Comment

• Batman
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Jan 2002

Glad to help. Due to the fact that there are many similarities between the various mpeg-4 codecs, divx and to a lesser extent the 3ivx decoder can be used to decode xvid.

Comment

Working...