Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dancer
    • Sep 2002

Divx avi on CDR will not play in laptop dvd drive

Hi, I have a Compaq Presario 1500Tn Notebook running WINXP home ed., 256 MB ram, 2 ghz. I can play DVDs on it just fine using PowerDVD, Windows Media Player 9 etc.
    But if I burn a DIVX 5(the newest) avi onto a CDR(Using my WIN 98se desktop), it will not play on any program on the laptop. I have downloaded all the codecs and I am at a loss why the divx will not play in the DVD drive.
    The same CDR will play in my desktop drive.
    Any thoughts?
    thanks,
    danCER
  • dancer
    • Sep 2002

Ok, I tried playing the same divx avi that is on my desktop PC, the notebook is networked at home, and the divx avi played fine. so why won't it play in the DVD drive? thanks,
    danCER

Comment

• Batman
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Jan 2002

Have you been able to succesfully playback the divx cd on your PC?

If so, post the "File Information" from Virtualdub of the problematic file.

What codec(s) did you install on your laptop?

Use BSPLAYER or WMP 6.4 to playback divx/xvid files. WMP9 may have certain playback issues.

Comment

• dancer
        • Sep 2002

Yes, the divx avi on the cdr WILL play on the desktop cd drive.
        I can also play the original divx avi that is located on the desktop pc hard drive by using the laptop and network places, too.
        But when I try to play that avi that is on the cdr in the dvd drive of the laptop, it will not play even using media player 6.4.
        I will try bsplayer and let you know.
        thanks, danCER

Is it the DVD drive itself that is causing the problem?

Comment

• dancer
          • Sep 2002

Ok tried BSplayer---takes forever to load and just hangs, like with other programs.

Comment

• alcskid
            Movie Lovers
            • Jan 2003

Sometimes. The problem is that most CD-Rs (Orange Book Part II) are "invisible" to DVD laser wavelength because the dye used to make the blank CD-R doesn't reflect the beam. Some first-generation DVD-ROM drives and many DVD players can't read CD-Rs. The formulation of dye used by different CD-R manufacturers also affects readability. That is, some brands of CD-R discs have better reflectivity at DVD laser wavelength, but even these don't reliably work in all players.
            The common solution is for the DVD player or drive to use two lasers at different wavelengths: one for reading DVDs and the other for reading CDs and CD-Rs. Variations on the theme include Sony's "dual discrete optical pickup" with switchable pickup assemblies with separate optics, Sony's dual-wavelength laser (to be initially deployed on Playstation 2), Samsung's "annular masked objective lens" with a shared optical path, Toshiba's similar shared optical path using an objective lens masked with a coating that's transparent only to 650-nm light, Hitachi's switchable objective lens assembly, and Matsu****a's holographic dual-focus lens. The MultiRead logo guarantees compatibility with CD-R and CD-RW media, but unfortunately, few manufacturers are using it.

Full Detail Info can be read at http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#2.4.3
            ...My Foot Print...

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

Not all drives recognize all brands of CD-R. As an experiment, try burning the file to a CD-R/W (R/Ws are recognized by more drives)...

Comment

• ftdn
                • Mar 2003

I've heard from some where don't remember, that WMP9 does not play the movie or music that its not created from...

I think from Anchordesk column at zdnet 3-4 months ago.

Comment

• dancer
                  • Sep 2002

Thanks for the input on DVD drives and cdr compatibility problems. I will try a RW/CD and see what happens.
                  danCER

Comment

Working...